Soaking tub in alcove also as shower?

Old 02-17-12, 06:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soaking tub in alcove also as shower?

This is my first time doing major remodeling, I have a question about placing a tub and shower in an alcove.

We had a single unit tub/shower insert that I ripped out. The out to out dimensions from studs are 60"x36". I want to put in a drop-in tub with a wall shower. I would like to use this tub:

Devonshire Drop-in Bath in Sandbar-K-1184-G9 at The Home Depot

Anyone see anything crazy with this? The plan was to tile infront of the tub (instead of a skirt). I worked out the width dimension and I should have enough room to frame in the front and tile and have it be flush with the bathroom wall. Is it crazy to use a soaking tub like this also as a shower?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-12, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it myself. Had a similar setup at my last place and it was terrible. Hard to step in and out of due to the height. Also, since my tub (and looks like the one you linked to as well) had no lip around the 3 sides, water made its way past and damaged the blueboard and studs (this was back when they didn't have cement board).

Old 02-17-12, 01:09 PM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'll second Vic's opinion. These tubs are not made to also be a shower. They are made to sit on a deck which is lower than the top edge of the tub and so there is no easy way to channel water into the tub. If you bury the edges of the drop in tub under cement board, there is no flange up against the studs such that it can be waterproofed easily. It will in all likelyhood leak.

You have the perfect opening for a regular bathtub that can be used in that opening as a tub and a shower. It would be much better for you to do that.

Old 02-18-12, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You don't need my third opinion, but I agree with Vic and Johnny. Although I have done it for a customer who installed a "halo" shower curtain set up. This allowed the water to be directed into the tub without the inevitable overspray problems associated with the flat surfaces.