Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Sliding Kitchen Garbage with Existing Cabinet Front

Sliding Kitchen Garbage with Existing Cabinet Front

Old 02-22-12, 07:25 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sliding Kitchen Garbage with Existing Cabinet Front

Hi all,

I recently purchased a pull-out in-cabinet trash/recycling system from simplehuman. Here's a link to the item: pull out recycling bins by simplehuman

I have a cabinet in my kitchen that's the perfect size to house this, but I have two issues I was hoping I could get some assistance with!

First, there's a non-adjustable shelf inside the cabinet that needs to be removed. As far as I can tell from internet research, the shelf is attached on either side into a dado inside the cabinet (a term I've just recently learned); there's also a plasic piece in the corner on the lower left and right sides with bent-over nails keeping it in place as well. How would I go about removing this, and is there a way to do so without ruining the shelf? It's not terrible if I have to ruin the shelf to remove it, but if it's possible not to, I'd rather do that.

Second, the trash/recycling unit installs to the bottom of the cabinet but not the cabinet door. It would look much nicer if instead of needing to open the door and then slide out the cabinet, I could attach the existing door front to the trash/recycling unit and slide everything out at once. I know I'd need to remove the cabinet door from the hinges, but beyond that, I don't know enough on how I'd go about attaching it all together.

Any help that can be provided would be fantastic, as I'm a recent homeowner and a novice, and this would be my first project!

Thanks!

Adam

Old 02-23-12, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Adam, welcome to the forums! If you decide to remove the portion of the shelf, it won't be too difficult. However, you will need to vertically support the cut end, so plan on using a 2x2 or similar piece of wood to attach the free end of the shelf and have it support on the bottom of the cabinet. Cutting the shelf will be best done with a multimaster type tool, or very carefully with a jig saw. You will probably be able to break the glue joint by moving it back and forth in the dado.
I know it is a convenience to not have to separately pull out the trash can, but the design you have, most likely won't allow attachment of the door front. There are units (see Rockler's) that will accommodate this feature. I have one in my rental cabin that uses a cantilever type action that actually pulls out the trash can when the door is opened. So, really, unless you are set on the convenience, you not be able to use the unit you purchased.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: