Total Gut Part 2

Old 02-24-12, 08:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Total Gut Part 2

Since a redesign was the general consensus from my first post, I decided to start a new thread.

Attached is a pic with 2 door configurations that are possible.

The tub is where it is now showing the windows that are above it. If I were to move the tub elsewhere, I can't see that area below the windows being anything but dead space.

The toilet can be moved anywhere.

The other elephant in the room is the 21" x 42" vanity cabinet that the other half bought (Please don't ask why. It is still a mystery.) a number of years ago. It too can be placed anywhere in the room. Any other cabinets, I will be custom building myself, but will not be an exact match to the existing vanity. Hence, one of my other problems of trying to do a cabinet design.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by nelsongg; 02-24-12 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Add Pic.
Old 02-24-12, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
First let me congratulate you for creating a post with legs. I've never seen a thread get so many posts as your part 1 bathroom gut.

To me the bathroom seems too big and open with a lot of underutilized space in the center. I would consider adding a toilet room. Preferably on an outside wall so you can have a round or octagon window to give it some interest.

Old 02-24-12, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Dont mean to be a pest but if it were mine I would do like this. ( Top pic. )

[IMG]

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-24-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 10:22 AM
N
Lawrosa,
you are far from a pest. You are exactly why I am on this forum. I like that design. I'll need to put some measurements to it and see how it looks.
If anything else pops into your head, please feel free.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 02-24-12, 10:25 AM
N
Did you attach another pic to your reply Lawrosa? My computer shows an image that I can't open in addition to the pic of mine that you modified.

Old 02-24-12, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
No other pic. It was a broken link.

yeah its a good design and dual his and here sinks are a blessing.

Also you can do your business while the wife puts on make up and such. And with out her seeing your do dad....LOL

Tub and shower should fit and of course make the shower as big as you can. Never too big IMO. Since you have a lot of space I figure a linen closet may fit. ( heck you may want a giant shower)

Put a steam unit there for the shower is a nice feature, all though I dont believe in breathing in chlorine laden city water. Need to put filtration on it.

Redraw it with the dimensions and lets see what you come up with.

Get rid of the wifes vanity. Show her she can have here own sink and a shower for two and she may change her mind....

Mike NJ

Old 02-24-12, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
I just want to give props to Lawrosa for the nice plan. Nice use of the space!

Old 03-03-12, 12:23 PM
N
Finally got to the redesign. This is what I came up with based on Mike's suggestion:
[IMG][img=http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6915/bathroom1g.th.jpg][/IMG]

Last edited by nelsongg; 03-03-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 08:47 PM
H
I like the design nelsongg but I was wondering if there is a place for a linen closet in the bathroom? I don't think I would want towel storage where you have it. Maybe under a window if there is a window in the bathroom and just a small linen cabinet you could move if there is no place for a linen closet. Otherwise the design looks great. I helped to design a kitchen and had pre-built cabinets from a home center so I kind of know what you are going through. Good luck with this. I hope you post more.

Old 03-05-12, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
I would 86 the shelf... Not liking it. But its your bathroom.

The rest looks fine.

I had a issue with my upstairs bath for linen. Since I have a cape and one wall was dead space on the other side I had built in shelves put in.

Almost like this. Mine is half the with and a lot deeper. Just for bath and hand towels. It beats having to call out to someone to get you a towel when you forget to bring one. ( That is if you utilize a outside closet)

Mike NJ

Old 03-06-12, 10:37 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I like the overall layout but am not particularly fond of the shelving either. Additionally, do you need the boxed in soffit over the shower? It might feel a little bigger if left open. Glad to see you made the shower bigger though since it'll see a lot more use than the tub.

Old 03-06-12, 11:02 AM
N
The shelving in the knee wall of the shower was a last minute ad I did to the drawing as I don't have a linen closet. Is the problem with it a big open shelf, maybe solved by putting doors on it and making it a cabinet? Or, is it just kind of an eyesore?

The soffit over the shower was put in to seal the top edge of the glass (vaulted ceiling) because "she who must be obeyed" is "considering" letting me put in a steam generator (as suggested by Mike in another post).

Thanks,
Greg

Old 03-06-12, 07:33 PM
H
Looking over your pictures again nelsongg I still can't say that I like the shelf. Being so close to the shower I see nothing but problems. A big shower is nice but my thinking is that there must be some room behind the shower without giving up too much room in the shower. I also hope you choose something other than black and white now that I have had another chance to look at it for the tile. I like the idea of the seat though that looks good. Another reason in my thinking that the shelf isn't a good idea is thinking ahead to any possibility that anyone in your family might need a wheel chair. I would hope that no one would ever have to but as people age things sometimes happen. Anyway those are my thoughts.

Old 03-06-12, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I would do away with the seat in the shower. Your just making it smaller doing that. If you must have one do a corner seat and size it so you can get that small linen closet. I believe you only need 2 ft for the closet. ( 30" with trim?)

From my experience the seats are more trouble then good with tile/grout leaking issues.

I am more of a modernist and go behyod the norm. believe me I have seen $50,000 bathrooms and they dont impress me.

I personally dont like tile as the pan and always use molded items. Ease of maintanance, cleaning, install, longevity...etc.

This will open it up and take the box look away from the overall design.

( Shower curtains are the in thing.)

This type of molded base is always a plus in my book.

But thats just my taste.

Do you really want this in your bath??

Mike NJ

Old 03-06-12, 08:46 PM
H
I like that second picture the Lawrosa posted Nelsongg and I think if I were to have a shower set up that would be my way to go. Those molded set ups can have a seat on either end. As far as shower curtains being the in thing I can't say I agree I still see a great deal of shower doors being installed on home improvement shows. Also if this is going to be a steam shower you will need shower doors.

Old 03-07-12, 04:34 AM
N
Hedge,
No, the tile color is just to make it stand out from other components.

Mike,
Not sure what you're referring to with "Do you really want this in your bath??". If it is the tile color in your last pic, the black and white is just a sample from the program I'm using. Not what we will be installing.

No matter how "in" shower curtains might be, I'll never convince the wife to go with that.

The main reason for the large bench is the possibility of the steam generator.

I may just ditch the whole shelf idea. It's just the wife and I in the house. Only need a couple of towels in the bath at a time. The rest can be stored in the walk-in closet right outside the bathroom door.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 03-07-12, 09:22 PM
H
Greg you might want to consider having the steam generator in another room. I once saw that done on a This Old House project several years ago. Just depends though on which room it adjoins as those things can get very hot. So you don't want the generator anywhere near a computer. If you ever decide to have children or have grand kids over you don't want them near the steam generator. So keep that in mind if you decide to get one. In my bathroom I wouldn't want one and there may be other people who wouldn't want that in their bathroom who might want to buy your house. These are just some possibilities but I say if that is what you want it is your house so do what is right for you and your wife. I still think you could have a shelf but have it as a piece of furniture you can move. A few years ago I bought a small little shelf system from JC Penney that has doors and two shelves with a nice top in white. It is still holding up nice in our basement bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: