Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Wall/cieling slant problem above kitchen cabinets

Old 02-25-12, 11:16 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Iwould sure like some suggestions on how to get the ceiling/wall above my kitchen cabinets to look straight... We have an old house, and the walls are not plum...in the kitchen, everything is slanting in one direction.
From the edge of the cabinets on the left side, from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling it measures 6"...as you follow the cabinet top to the right there is a gap of 8" from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling...so I have a 2" slant from left to right.

I plan on refacing my cabinets a little bit and want to add hardware, but with this awful slant, I hesitate as the eye will be drawn more to the cabinets once I reface them...
I'd like ideas as to what I can do to make the cabinets look level..a soffet, crown moulding? I need help!!

I have photos i wanted to attach here, but i don't know how to do this because they would be imported from my computer, and i see the only way to attach a photo here is via a URL...we should be able to browse our computer in My Pictures and attach a photo directly from our own computer...is there a way I can do that?
Thank you.

Old 02-25-12, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
Old 02-26-12, 10:28 AM
F
I wrote the post above about the slant on my kitchen ceiling above the cabinets....here are a couple of photos. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can get that ceiling to look level with the top of the cabinets (which are level)

Thank you.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/DSCN0547.jpg

Old 02-26-12, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Aside from shimming the ceiling down and putting up new sheetrock, there is no magic way to make that taper disappear. Adding crown moulding alone will make the taper seem worse because as that gap gets even closer to the ceiling it will become even more obvious how much it tapers.

It probably wouldn't look as bad if you would add crown moulding or a galley rail, and then put a bunch of greenery up there... fake plants/ivy and such.

Old 02-26-12, 11:21 AM
F
Thank you. Putting up new sheet rock would be the perfect fix...but that would be something I'd have to have a professional do for us...and right now, we can't afford it.

I just wonder if a galley rail or crown moulding would work. I think I'll print out the photos I have and fool around with it by penciling in different 'fixes', including the rail and moulding...see what it looks like. Putting greenery might work to hide the slant...they'd have to be big/tall enough to hide the part where the ceiling meets the wall....worth a try.

This is qite a dilema for me to fix....gggrrr!!

Old 02-26-12, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Yeah, what I was getting at, is that right now the taper is obvious... but from 20 feet back it looks like it's tapered from 7" on one side to 10" on the other. That taper changes depending on the angle from which it's viewed. As you walk closer to the cabinets, say 10 feet back, now it looks like it's tapered 3" on one side to 6" on the other- eventually as you get closer you reach a point where it appears as 0" on one side and 3" on the other, which is VERY obvious.

By adding any moulding to the top of the cabinets, you are in a way making that gap smaller (when viewed from ANY distance) making it even more obvious.

Build a soffit and you simply move the taper to the FRONT of the cabinets. It's still there. Sorry to say, there is no perfect solution other than a level ceiling that is parallel to the cabinets.

Old 02-26-12, 01:02 PM
F
Thanks...that makes sense...yes, the closer you get, where you have to really look up to see the cabinet top, it does appear as a smaller gap...I did give up on the soffit idea already...
Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: