Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

new bathroom vanity/countertop and out-of-square corner

Old 02-29-12, 07:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

This must be a common problem but I have not found a previous thread that illustrates my situation.

I'm replacing my bathroom vanity and countertop. The corner is out of square and if I make the back of the vanity flush with the wall then there's a 1/2" gap on the side (at 19" from the corner). I know to install a strip of wood to close the gap along the vanity. I have a granite top with seperate backsplash and side splash pieces. For the top, I know that the options are to cut the countertop )dusty!) to match the corner or else notch the drywall. However, my question involves how to prevent the side splash from being so visibly out of square to the backsplash.

How do people address the side splash?
Do they cut out the drywall and bury the side splash (moreso at the corner) to make up for it? The caveat here is the bad line will then be along the top of the sidesplash.

Do people just glue it on as-is and accept the out of squareness of the sidesplash and the backsplash?

-Chris

Old 03-01-12, 02:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do people just glue it on as-is and accept the out of squareness of the sidesplash and the backsplash?
Chris, usually, yes. If you center your gap on both sides and employ the side splashes, then you are only talking 1/4" difference. It won't be that noticeable. Caulk the top of the backsplash as well.

Old 03-01-12, 11:33 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply but I think one detail may have been missed: My backsplash and side splash are detached. I need to affix them to the walls; I'm not confident they will hold if I just glue the bottom of the backsplash and sidesplash to the countertop and then center the top to make equal 1/4" gaps for caulking.

SO - my queston still stands. Knowing that I need/want to glue these to the walls and cannot leave a gap behind the back/side splashs, how would you approach this? dig out the drywall or just accept that the backsplash and sidesplash will be installed out of square?

Old 03-01-12, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure what your countertop is made of, but normal back and side splashes are siliconed to the wall and then the cracks between the splashes and countertop is siliconed to prevent water infiltration. Living with the offset is common.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: