bathroom floor

Old 03-25-12, 08:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom floor

Howdy! i am about to renivate a small bathroom. the only question ihave (so far) is what to do with the floor. it is currently tile on cement slab. should i bother trying to remove the existing tile or go right over it?
Cheers!

if i should just go over it, what would the prep steps be?

Old 03-25-12, 10:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What type tile, ceramic, VCT, linoleum, large squares, small?? Got any pictures you can post? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-25-12, 10:53 AM
B
larry--here are 2 pics. it is small ceramic (i think) tile.
Cheers!

DSCN1380.jpg picture by birch69 - Photobucket

Old 03-25-12, 11:53 AM
That helps, thanks. Although you can tile directly over the existing tile, you will need to be aware of the plane change in height to the next room. A transition will be needed. Do you plan on doing anything with the wall tile, sink and toilet? If you remove the walls, you can add blocking for a new hanging sink and do away with the vertical supports.

Old 03-25-12, 01:05 PM
B
Thanks again..I am planning on gutting everything except the shower and shower walls. It is a tiny space and getting rid of the sink supports will b good. Probably go with a small pedestal. The current floor is actually 1/4" lower than hallway tile for sum reason so going over would work out ok. Would I treat the existing tile like a subfloor and just lay tile or is there a prep that is required to overlay?
Cheers!

Old 03-25-12, 05:06 PM
If you can rough up the surface of the tile, it would give the thinset a better place to adhere. From what I have experienced with this type and age of tile, you may have a concrete base under the tile, rather than just wood with backer board like we use today. The concrete base may be as thick as 2", so let sleeping dogs lie.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: