Large gap at corner of bathtub tile

Old 05-01-12, 04:31 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large gap at corner of bathtub tile

Hello all,

When I purchased my house there was a big gap between the tub and tile. The tub was also at an angle. I had a contractor (turned out not to be the best) "level' the tub. He filed the space with grout which eventually cracked and is coming out.

At the right side of the tub corner there is a 1inch gap. The rest of the tub's gap is about 1/4inch. The issue is more so with the edge. I have no idea how to close this gap.

I read about backerrods but they are for filling spaces. I need a soultion to make it smaller so I can caulk it properly.

Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-12, 07:14 AM
H
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
solution: Remove a couple of rows of tile and whatever is behind it to the studs. Then correct the tub issues, shim to level and reinforce from underneath. Install new cement board that should come to within a 1/4" of the tub deck. Hardibacker is a good choice for this becausse you can actually rabbet the back of the board to cover the tub flange and not have the board bulging out. Then set your new tile to approx 1/8" over the tub deck. Grout the new tile. Caulk the joint between the tub and the tile with 100% silicone caulk for bathroom use. No other real easy fixes I can see.

Old 05-02-12, 08:17 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny thanks for the reply. I would love to do that but I can not find that style of tile. I would have to remove all teh tile in the bathroom or at least withing the shower area from tub to floor.

Old 05-02-12, 09:33 AM
H
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Remove a tile and take it to a good tile store, (not a big box store). They may have a close match.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: