Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Alcove bathtub impossible dimensions needed: 66"long by max 31"wide?

Old 05-03-12, 10:43 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

We are planning to remodel our bathroom that currently has a 66" x 30" cast-iron alcove tub. The width of any new tub will be limited to 31" based on our architecture. And I really do not want to go shorter than 66" long since I am 6'3" tall.

We simply cannot find a replacement tub that is at least 66" long and at most 31" wide.

The narrowest new tub I seem to be able to find as a replacement is 32" like this Kohler: KOHLER| Dynametric 5.5-Foot Bath with Left-Hand Drain. Sadly the extra inch is just too much.

Does anyone know of any new tub that might fit the bill? Or any other ideas to solve this problem? We looked into refinishing our existing tub, but that also doesn't really seem like a viable option.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-12, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Old 05-04-12, 05:05 PM
C
Thanks those are good dimensions. It doesn't look like a tub like that is suitable for a three wall alcove arrangement though...?

Old 05-05-12, 04:28 AM
Yeah, it only showed the top view, so it probably won't work. Out of curiosity what makes the "architecture" limit the size of the width of the tub?

Old 05-05-12, 08:26 AM
C
there is only really 30" between the wall and the door frame. Our existing tub which ou see in the attached picture is 30". I think we could squeeze an extra inch, but anything more and the door wont open 90 degrees. There is even less clearance on the other side.

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-12, 07:59 PM
Now a practical question. The tub doesn't look to be in that bad of shape. Is it necessary to ditch a perfectly good cast iron tub. Whatever you get won't be the quality of the iron. Just an opinion, but it may save a headache or two and a little $$

Old 05-05-12, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Where are you measuring from? You cant really measure from the tile. Well you could but add an inch.

Give exact measurements from back tile of tub to edge of tile by the door.

With out the tile and sheetrock you have at least another 1" to the studs. Just want to make sure the exact measurements before I go looking.

IMO I would nix the tile and go with a surround. To do this build the wall out to accommodate a 60" tub and at 6'3" you should stop taking baths....( Just joking )

I will help you best I can after you post the measurements again.

Mike NJ

Old 05-05-12, 10:05 PM
C
Looks in that photo are deceiving- the finish is completely worn away inside the tub, and the enamel is worn to the metal around the drain which is rusting out pretty bad.

Old 05-05-12, 10:33 PM
C
Give exact measurements from back tile of tub to edge of tile by the door.
From the surface of the tile to the edge of the tile by the door is exactly 30". I don't think I could stand a 60" tub. In my ideal world I could have a tub where I could lay with my legs completely straight and stay submerged up to my neck- maybe 72".. But I'd settle for the 66" we have now.