Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

peeling bathtub in apartment, landlord wont fix, options?

Old 05-10-12, 02:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions about a peeling tub that I don't think were addressed from previous questions.

Quick story: Tub peeled, landlord paid to 'reglaze', worker comes in to work on something in the bathroom, tools drop into tub and chip tub (we think) and tub starts to peel again, landlord refuses to 'reglaze' because we didnt notify them quickly enough.

NOT an option:
* new tub,
* professional refinishing
* liner

Questions:
1) Is there a difference between refinishing and reglazing?
2) Are these cheap diy kits (~$20) (i know, i know, bear with me here) used to repair peeling, or just for general refinishing?
3) I know these kits don't last long, but would one be able to put down a waterproof mat if it starts to peel again? OR would it last the time it takes for long enough for tenants to get a security deposit back.
4) About 80% of the tub bottom is peeled off, do we have any other options. Yes, doing nothing is an option, but at this point almost anything would look better than it does now.

Thanks!
jack

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-12, 03:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Why would the peeling tub glazing be your concern That should be part of regular maintenance and not affect your deposit, especially since you weren't the one that chipped the tub.

The diy tub reglazing kits have a poor track record - mostly due to poor prep.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 05-10-12, 03:24 PM
D
I agree it's absurd. But I don't think fighting them further is an option.

Currently I'm leaning toward just trying out one of the DIY kits and see if I can put down a protective mat afterwards, because anything is better than what we have now.

I'm only assuming that these kits are fine for complete reglazing of peeled glaze and not just for refinishing a sanded tub to make it look a little better.

Old 05-11-12, 06:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
We pay someone to reglaze our tubs and it's spendy. I would hire a pro but can't see the harm in you trying a kit.

Old 06-08-12, 11:47 AM
D
update

I'll try to minimize bringing up this thread, but with this job it is extremely important for people to know how it turns out down the road.

Some thing to consider:
*Sand it, actually sand it. These kits come with steel wool and some acid to remove all the soap scum. I would get some sand paper and maybe even a palm sander (we didn't).
* These products do work when the old epoxy is peeling off (so you actually see the porcelain) and not just for painting over the old epoxy, but you need to chip away and sand down as much as possible.
* We opted for paint over the spray because we heard that the spray produces a fine mist that floats around the room and lands on things. The spray might create a more even coat, but the brush-on paint is self-leveling and doesn't get everywhere.

It has been 2 weeks and it is still 100% better than it was before. (We had rusted area and horrible peeling.) It hasn't peeled yet (*crosses fingers*). We do have some uneven areas, and some areas that have the consistency of umm--imagine if you took a newspaper, got it wet and rubbed it with your hand, some of it would bunch up, but very minimal amount of that.

We took a suction-cup bathmat and cut off the suction-cups for protection, maybe this is helping.

I may update this down the road, from what I hear many people have this stuff peeling off after a few weeks. If we are successful it is because of the prep (heavy sanding) I think.

Old 08-31-12, 01:30 PM
D
One last update months later for anyone looking for info like we were: no chips, no peels, a little rough edges, but everything is fine. Yes you can do this if you sand like crazy, use masks, keep the room dehumidified, get decent brushes or the brisels will pull off into the paint. I recommend paint can over spray, though I haven't tried the spray (though I hear it gets in the air and all over everything).

msg me here if you have any other questions

good luck.

Old 08-31-12, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Glad you were able to get a usable tub out of it. Too bad the landlord was a jerk.