Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Need some advice with window in bathroom and using mortar around it.

Old 06-02-12, 10:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping I can get some advice on my current bathroom remodel.
My house is a 1972 concrete block home in Florida. I tore out the old walls which were rotted out plaster. Wall around the side of bathtub literately came off in one piece along with all of the tile.
I'm planning to use Hardibacker in the tub surround, but am wondering about what I need to do around my window. The area around the window is concrete and a lot broke off easily. There are now chunks missing. There is some metal mesh that also came off as it was rusted out along the corners.

This is what I plan to do and need to know if I am going the right route or I should do something else as I really dont want to replace the window.

Since the former wall extended out further then what the Hardibacker will be, I plan to use shims to even it out with the window frame area which currently have 1x1/2's on the concrete wall. Once I have the new cement board up (which I plan to line up with the edge of the 1x1/2's, would filling in the broken concrete around the window with something like Quikrete fast setting repair mortar be good enough or should I use something else? I plan to tile the walls all the way around the window frame, but dont think using thin set would be good enough to fill in the large gaps right?

Here is 2 pictures of the window and area.

Attached Images   

Last edited by NateTrain; 06-02-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-02-12, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are tiling the walls, build a return back to the window frame and install cbu on it, and tile the return. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not. Filling a gap with concrete, may not look all that good.

Old 06-02-12, 04:36 PM
N
I dont think I can do a return, but I'm probably not thinking of the same thing as you. Could you explain what you mean by building a return back to the frame? Are you talking about building another frame around it? Right now by putting the cbu on the walls without shims the entire window area sticks a good 1/2 inch out.

Old 06-02-12, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
From what I see in your pix, the window frame is almost flush with the framing. If you bring your cbu to the edge of the window, then you will need to accommodate that space where the cbu will be seen on the edge, most likely with a wrap around decorative tile of sorts. Maybe another angle shot will help us to see what you are seeing

Old 06-02-12, 05:28 PM
N
I tried taking more pics from different angles, but cant really get anything that shows how much the current frame area sticks out. The frame thats there is surrounded in concrete and wire mesh and taking out all of that is something I dont want to do.

I may be able to bring the cbu to the edge of the current frame if I use bigger shims then use wrap around. I just have to make sure it doesnt hang over the tub more then it should. The edge of the cbu also wont be fastened around the edges because of the cement thats there now. I would have to fasten it a good inch in with the 1x1/2's that are there now plus the shims I add later.
I planned to line the cbu up with the wood thats there now and fill in the other areas, but does make sense to line it up with the frame. I wouldnt have to fill in as much.

I really should just take the existing window out, rebuild and replace everything, but trying to avoid it. It would be so much easier if the frame did line up with the cbu, but it wont. The frame area defiantly sticks out further.

Old 06-02-12, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Looks to me like the existing return to the window ought to be removed, regardless of whether or not "taking all that out is something you don't want to do". It's not possible to finish it nicely with tile if you don't.

I'd suggest you follow the advice Larry gave in his initial reply. A tile return is what you need to end up with (the window can stay) you need to fit CBU and tile behind the crank and then caulk the perimeter of the tile-window joint. (remove the crank entirely to do this, then reinstall)

Old 06-02-12, 06:32 PM
N
Yea I thought so. Removing the concrete wont be hard, but the mesh isnt going to be fun. Is there an easy way of taking it out other then with pliers? Maybe a multi tool with a good blade?

Old 06-02-12, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, it depends on whether the mesh was put in before the window or not. If it was put in before the window then you will probably have to cut it off, which you can either do with tin snips, wire cutters, or a grinder w/ 1/16" wheel after you beat the cement out of it.

If the mesh was put on after the window was installed, then it probably has roofing nails or something that tack it to the framing and it will just be a matter of pulling those nails. A multitool would work but I wouldn't waste a blade on it. A cheap chisel would probably sever the wire too.

Old 06-05-12, 10:01 AM
N
Edit:
Deleted my recent post.
Figured it out.

Last edited by NateTrain; 06-05-12 at 12:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: