Countertop refinishing or replacement....

Old 06-19-12, 07:05 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Countertop refinishing or replacement....

Hi,

We bought an older rental house - everything need replacing. The first to go was the bathroom, then windows & a bunch of walls. Our next stop was to be the kitchen - we were going to rip the whole thing out a start over. Unfortunately my business is way down so we're putting the complete refurbish on hold for a couple of years.

But in the meantime we really have to do something with the countertop. It is ugly, gouged in a couple of places and is an eyesore. I've seen countertop refinishing kits (Rust-oleum makes one for example), but I'm not sure I can do it with the current setup. As the picture shows - the borders & edges are clad by metal - old school.

Anyone got an idea of the best approach to replace the counter with minimal investment? Like I said, in a few years the whole kitchen is going to be replaced so something like marble is out of the question.

Bob

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-12, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Bob, I will look for pics and post them later, but I had the same thing in a rental cabin here on our property. Ugly 1970's bright yellow countertops, screaming to be relieved of duty.
I pulled out the sink and removed all the countertops, replaced with 3/4" marine plywood, then 1/4" hardie backer, then 12x12 slate look tile, jammed together so there is a pencil thin grout line. Used unsanded black grout. Banded it all with 1x2 oak. It looked so good, wifey made me do it in our house. Solid as a rock, and it looks warm. Cabin had about 20 linear feet of space. Total cost was about $150 with the oak trim taking the lion's share of the budget. Tile was on sale for about $1 each. Oh, cut tile 3" tall for the backsplash as well, taking my banding up and over it.
Found pix.
Attachment 1271

Old 06-20-12, 04:15 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
That job looks great Larry.
I might actually look at doing very similar to our kitchen.

Old 06-20-12, 07:35 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Larry - great looking, thanks for the ideas! I imagine you need to seal the grout & slate - how often do you need to do that? The black grout actually looks lighter than the slate - I like that look.

Hmmm, maybe matching slate for the floor replacement....

Old 06-20-12, 01:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Actually the floor is really wide laminate click lock flooring without any pad. It feels solid, just like slate would. Hey, it wasn't but $30 so if it wears out from improper installation, it will wear out . The tiles are actually not real slate, but slate look ceramic tiles, so no real sealing is needed. Yes, I sprayed on grout sealer and wiped it all down, so if the tile needed sealing, it got it anyway. Thanks for the comments, guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: