Kitchen renovation question

Old 07-10-12, 11:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen renovation question

I would like to knock a wall (that is not touching the ceiling. see picture) down where the cabinets are attached to so we can put a kitchen island. (see floor plan idea) But there's a pillar at the end of the wall and it doesnt seem like a load bearing pillar. Could this be load bearing? How can I tell? I looked closely at where this pillar meets and the ceiling and the connecting part doesnt look so smooth. As if this kitchen wall was added on after the house was built...
any ideas?
thanks

Name:  IMG_4551.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  24.8 KBName:  new kitchen.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 07-11-12, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The wall was probably in the plans, but the vertical support is there for the wall's stability and was put in just for that reason. It isn't in all probability load bearing, since there is no beam for it to support. To be safe, I would have a local engineer look at it. Looks as if the plan will work, but it also looks as if you will be losing a bunch of cabinet space. Do you plan on installing hanging cabinets over the island? Curious. Remember one thing, when/if you remove this wall support and wall, what will you do with the boogered flooring?

Old 07-15-12, 07:17 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I realize I'm late coming to this, but what are you planning to do with the electrical work that appears to be in the existing wall?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: