Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Layout of recessed lights. Advise and criticism please!

Old 07-11-12, 02:32 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So let me give you a quick explanation of what im doing here. Ive stripped my kitchen down to studs. Walls and ceiling. So I can do whatever I need to as far as electrical etc. The cabinets I have already ordered and received. Everything is in boxes in my basement. There wast much wiring in the kitchen to begin with and what was there was good condition but obsolete knob and tube which I have removed.

I have a little bit of an idea about where to put the lights I want (6" recessed cans with a few others as well). I have included a floor map that I used to deign the cabinet layout with home depot. I tried to label everything as clearly as I could without cluttering anything. Basically the green dots (somewhat to scale) are 6" recesses lights. The yellow dot is some sort of pendant light and the pink dots are 4" cans above the range/oven.

The wall on the bottom of the page is a "half wall" into my living room. Its 45" tall currently and there is a multi laminate header on the ceiling substituting the wall that was there previously. So there is no hood or anything. On the other side of this wall I have a large sectional couch that faces the TV in the living room. The wall is already down so please don't suggest that I not do it. The entire bottom floor feel 100% more open now even though its completely stripped.

There is also a large ceiling fan in the middle. I plan on having all of the 6" cans on one set of 3 way dim-able switches and the range and sink on separate switches. The fan will also be on a separate switch both the light and fan (with dimming and speed control.

In the bottom left there is a corner where I have a coat rack on the wall and welcome may where we place our shoes. The entrance from the basement is usually where we enter the house as the garage is attached to the basement.

Are the 6" cans too large? Do I have too many? Is the spacing too small in between them. I have fairly tall ceilings. I want to say greater then 10' possibly just shy of 12' but I will confirm that tonight when I get home and post up.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

~Ethan

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-12, 05:58 AM
E
Almost 100 views and nobody can offer some advise? Maybe i put this in the wrong form? I didnt think it really fit in the electrical as im not asking about installation. Just placement...

At this point Im thinking about just getting the lights up there and wiring them up and trying them. I still have no walls or ceiling so the worst case I loose a few feet of 14/2 wiring and a can or two if its too much.

On my way into work this morning I was thinking that the plans I laid the lights out on are just cabinets no counter top. I have granite ordered for the counter and im not sure how far it is going to stick out past the cabinet face? Is there a standard for this? I should readjust my tape lines to incorporate the counter (I think).

Thanks,
Ethan

I uploaded the pic to a host and maybe this will make it easier to see.

Old 07-12-12, 12:36 PM
I can't offer any advice, but we'll be going through about the same thing in our kitchen soon and I'll be looking for help.

I will say though that you could look for a lighting gallery store in your area. They deal with nothing but lighting and fans. I'm sure they could give you some very good advice on what you have planned already.

Old 07-13-12, 05:09 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I uploaded the pic to a host and maybe this will make it easier to see.
Yes, after opening it in a new tab, it did. Thanks.

One quick comment: Not sure why you want a can centered over the entrance from the living room or over the back entrance. One I think you might enjoy would be centered in front of the fridge.

Second: Aren't the folks at the design desk at HD willing or able to help you answer this question?

Old 07-16-12, 05:55 AM
E
Thanks for your response Nashkat. I installed 6 6" cans this weekend and wired them up. I have airtite Halo housings with IC rating. Only 1 or 2 will really come in contact with insulation however the 6 pack was only $47 I believe so i figured it wouldn't hurt. I did deviate slightly from the plan I posted. I omittied the light over the rear entrance and the light over the basement entrance. I one can in the upper right corner like its shown on the drawing and then 2 on the stretch down. Then 3 on the bottom stretch. So there is still on at the end of the counter bar and somewhat towards the entrance to the living room. I have not installed any pendants yet and I omitted the two smaller can above the range. I seems that its lighted quite well right now.

However I noticed that the area where the fridge is in left on the dark. I may add another can there. I have to see how close the ceiling fan it will be however. The rule that ive seen so far is at least 9" away from the blades to not get that strobe effect.

Thanks again!

p.s. I spent maybe $90 for 6 cans, trim kits and bulbs but I spent $80 on 3 dimmer switches. They are digital ones and quite nice but jeez there expensive.

Old 07-16-12, 12:19 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
It's sounding nice.

I spent maybe $90 for 6 cans, trim kits and bulbs but I spent $80 on 3 dimmer switches. They are digital ones and quite nice but jeez there expensive.
I hear you. I replaced the three switches in our bathroom a couple of weeks ago. One of the new switches is a $1.49 rocker, and I spent a little more than $140 for all three switches, IIRC.

Hang in there!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: