New Kitchen Cabinets

Old 07-23-12, 07:39 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Kitchen Cabinets

After a couple of year project hiatus (which has been nice, but my fingers are itching to get back into something BIG), my wife and I are getting ready to tackle our 1950's kitchen.
We've started looking around at cabinets, and can of course use a local cabinet maker, who is well known for great quality cabinets (at a really high price), or we can go with some of the manufactured brands.
After touring Home Depot, we walked away wondering if everything manufactured would feel as cheap as the stuff they had in their display kitchens.
At Menards, we found the Medallion line, which at the top tier was actually quite impressive. We thought we had found a viable option, but after getting home and looking at some reviews online, it seems that Menards custom cabinet services may leave a little to be desired.
I know there are a lot of contractors who frequent this forum, and I won't ask them to bad-mouth cabinet manufacturers. I'll instead take a more positive approach and ask what kind of good experiences they've had with the large brand manufactured cabinets (Kraftmaid, Medallion, etc...), and if there might be one they feel rose above some of the others - okay that may not be a very fair question, but I had to ask... :-)

Old 07-23-12, 07:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Dangit, I can't remember the names of my cabinets but I've been happy with them. I'm 90% sure they came from Menards or Home Depot, that's what was in the area when the place was built.

Schrock? That a cabinet manufacturer?

Old 07-23-12, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
The only cabinets I've ever installed have been for me or friends but I've painted a lot of new construction houses and the cabinets custom made were always superior to the box cabinets. That said, there is a wide range of box cabinets, anywhere from cheap junk to decently built cabinets. What the cabinets are constructed off is the biggest clue as to their quality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: