Glass tile lighting

Old 07-24-12, 10:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glass tile lighting

I'm building an outdoor bar to donate for a charity auction. The bar will not have any attached overhead lighting. One thing I thought would give it a cool 'wow factor' would be to do the backsplash area between the counter and bar in translucent glass tiles, but instead of standard backer board use an acrylic / plexiglass panel and clear glue, then backlight the glass tiles. I realize I'll have to peel each tile off of the mesh backer they come on and glue them individually, otherwise you would see the mesh.

Has anybody done this, and if so what kind of glue did you use, and what did you 'grout' with? My initial thought was to grout with clear caulk, but I don't know how long that would last.

If I find a good solution I may also incorporate this into the front of the bar somehow as well.

This is going to be an 'upscale' bar and not a tiki bar type of thing. I've already got granite slabs for the counter top and bar top, and plan on facing the bar in either redwood or teak.

Thanks,
-Matt

Old 07-24-12, 10:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forums

This sounds intriguing. I see a problem in the flexibility of the plastic back compared to the standard tile installation but caulk instead of grout might mitigate that for you.

Not sure what glue you'd want to use, though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: