Shower Leak

Old 07-25-12, 09:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Leak

So I've moved into my first home, and one of the selling features that I like was, the basement shower renovated with a nice tiled stand up shower. My home inspector ran the shower for a good 15 minutes to see if there were any leaks. Didn't see anything. The only strange thing was there were cobwebs in the shower which indicates that it wasn't being used. Why wouldn't you use a new shower?

So fast forward to when I move in. Everything seems fine until i see the baseboard has water damage. I take it off to see a waterproof membrane. I don't understand whats wrong. My friend who is a contractor says that the shower was installed wrong. He cut a hole in the drywall outside the shower to find the waterproof membrane was on the outside of the shower drywall. Please see the photos. Is this correct? He said i need to rip out the whole thing.

Name:  IMG-20120726-00029.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  29.7 KBName:  IMG-20120726-00030.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  22.6 KBName:  IMG-20120726-00031.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 07-26-12, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The liner is right, but it is how the corner was done which will tell. If it was cut to fit, then it is wrong. There can be no cuts or gaps in the liner. No nails in it except at the top to hold it in place while you put on the board. In addition, the use of sheetrock on the wet side is not a good thing. They should have used concrete backer underlayment.

Old 07-26-12, 03:27 PM
A
Chandler is correct, the liner looks ok, and it seems to be cement board on the wet side of the shower. I suspect that the curb is done wrong..sloped to the outside, or the liner was installed wrong over the curb, it was improperly installed at the curb/wall intersection. Also the jambs need waterproofing behind the slab material of the jambs.

Old 07-26-12, 04:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I do believe you are right that is Hardiebacker on the walls. Thanks for the catch. I agree, the folding of the liner is cumbersome and sometimes people take shortcuts. May have happened here.

Old 07-27-12, 08:24 AM
M
Please forgive my lack of understanding. Is this something that can be fixed or do I have to take it all down? Obviously this wouldn't be something that I would tackle on my own. Any direction would be welcomed and appreciated.

Old 07-27-12, 11:20 AM
A
yes, it can be repaired. Generally speaking, a repair like this would be about 1/3rd- to 1/2 the cost of a new shower (just guessing without actually seeing it). A tile contractor would be the one to call

Old 07-28-12, 05:05 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
While the liner appears to be installed properly, there should be blocking between the studs that fully supports the liner so that it cannot collapse between the studs. Often when you see work like this, there are other issues, like no preslope, corner issues and curb issues. Its hard to tell what the problems could be without removing some of the tile and the marble curb and jambs. Tile guy has you on the right track, its best to call a good tile guy in to get a look at it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: