Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Redesigning our half bath and pantry. Need some advice on adding a shower.

Redesigning our half bath and pantry. Need some advice on adding a shower.

Old 07-26-12, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Redesigning our half bath and pantry. Need some advice on adding a shower.

The pictures below are just a basic look at our old and very out of date and under-maintained downstairs pantry/bath. This bath wasn't even a bath when we first bought the house a long time ago, instead just being a pantry. It's still used as the washer/dryer room as it's the only practical room that's insulated in the house that can fit the w/d unit.

We want to add a shower unit to this bath, but we're not sure if it's possible. After measuring, it seems possible, but I'm not sure if possible also means practical or safe. We'd basically have to find a way to work with the w/d unit, instead knocking out the large closet that's hardly used in the corner and perhaps moving around the toilet and the sink as well, condensing the cat litter under an open sink/vanity top design, which would also mean re-routing some pipes below. I'm looking for some advice on if we should put a shower unit in here.

We found some smaller 32 x 32 shower unit kits at Lowes which we don't mind, but I'm also not a remodel expert so perhaps a larger one could work but I'm not sure.

Other than the shower, a larger sink/vanity would be nice, if only by a tiny bit, and hiding our cat litter more would be nice. There's a yard of space we can't use starting in front of the w/d. The rest is fair game.

Each picture is taken from basically the wall behind us, give or take a few inches. It looks and feels (slightly) larger in person, but floor plans with measurement's are more accurate than the pic's. I just thought both might help.

Thanks for any help.

-Jesse

Edit: One little bit I forgot to add is it's about 8 feet high from floor to ceiling

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-12, 03:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
First, some questions. Is there a full cellar below, with accessible pipes or just a crawl space? Is the main drain cast iron or PVC? Which walls are the outside walls? To me, it looks like the only way, to add a shower would be to lose the closet. I won't give you my recommendation, on the cat.

Old 07-26-12, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The closet is the only place to put anything, but, gee, my shoulders are more than 20" wide, so whatever you put in there will be extremely small. You can't encroach on the toilet space, either, so that's out.

Old 07-26-12, 07:39 PM
There is a full basement below so getting to pipes is pretty easy. The main drain is PVC. It's a corner room so behind the toilet, closet, and sink walls is the outside.

Losing the closet is not an issue, nor is moving the sink over and finding a new spot for the litter.

Old 07-26-12, 09:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended
For a 32x32 shower, you'll have to move the vanity. If the new vanity is going to have drawers, make sure they are on the side that makes the pipes easier to connect. You'll see what I mean when you look under the sink.

Old 07-27-12, 03:43 AM
You can't use the space between the closet and the toilet, so anything wider than 20" is out. You must have step out room and 16" between the toilet and the nearest obstruction.

Old 07-27-12, 05:32 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I'll have to look at the layout a bit more to really get a good idea.
You might be able to get away with those shower stolls that have 3 glass sides (door in the middle). This would keep you from tripping over the toilet, and may allow for the kitty litter to stay where it is.
This is what I had in our basement bathroom in my old house. The toilet and vanity is setup similar to yours with the shower where your closet is located.

This picture was taken standing just outside the door. What you see is pretty much all there is to the room.
Name:  463542_102.jpg
Views: 4337
Size:  30.8 KB

Old 07-27-12, 06:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If anything wider than 20" is out of the question, the job can't be done. The cat won.

Old 07-28-12, 06:09 AM
You definitely cannot get a shower in there where the closet is. If you are willing to reconfigure the entire bathroom then you may be able to squezze in a small shower. Remove all the fixtures from your drawing and play around with it. Post what you come up with here and someone may be able to help you refine it a little.

Old 07-28-12, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I think it would work putting the shower where the closet is if you use a corner shower with sliding doors. Example: 800mm square shower enclosure with sliding glass door, shower enclosures manufacturer & Supplier in china I have a friend that has one and it is a space saver. He either got it at Home Depot or Menards. Then, I suggest placing the cat box on the floor under the shelf unit (cats like small spaces). That will give you plenty of room for a larger sink/vanity.

Old 07-28-12, 05:09 PM
Still can't put anything over 21" or so in that corner. The showers you refer to are 31" square.

Old 07-28-12, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Still can't put anything over 21" or so in that corner. The showers you refer to are 31" square.
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't get why? 31" for the shower gives you 26" for the toilet.

*edit* Nevermind. I see code is 30"