Acrylic shower base and tile question

Old 07-28-12, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acrylic shower base and tile question

Doing a full bath room remodeling, will be tiling the floor and installing a acrylic shower base and tiling the shower walls. my question is: can anyone think of a reason as to why I could not completely tile the floor prior to placing the shower base. I was hoping for a very clean look on the shower base where it meets the floor rather than having a grout line. any takers????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-12, 02:19 PM
It's just not done that way..you could run the cement board under it if you chose to do so. Heres a few reasons, most of the pans i've seen have a rough edge, if the floor is not perfectly flat you will have gaps, shower pans should be set level. Also, that joint where the floor meets the pan is caulked, not grouted as there will always be movement between the 2 dissimular surfaces. There are a few other reasons, such as the order of construction, but i think it gives a better finished look if the pan was installed first.

Old 07-28-12, 04:46 PM
I'm not a tile pro and I wouldn't tile under the pan but only because I'm too cheap to waste the tile. It's kinda the same question about finished kitchen flooring under cabinets. The obvious advantage is that you won't be trimming tiles to fit the base.

I had two showers with acrylic bases. One is a quality base by Kohler and the other was a cheapo big box model that I have since ripped out. Both bases had machined edges. I don't think you would have a problem getting a neat caulked joint if the floor is flat. However, any gaps might be difficult to deal with. If the floor is flat consider another option. Just extend the full size tiles under the footprint of the base. You won't have to worry about leveling the subfloor to the tile height since you'll be bedding the base in mortar.