Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

terrible luck with countertops - opinions please

Old 08-01-12, 01:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm on my second countertop with this remodel. The first company put a seam because they said they couldn't fit it in the elevator.
I ended up getting a refund and decided to go with white quartz instead of black granite.
The new counter is in and it is perfect EXCEPT there is this crazy wavy polished area around the sink cutout that is totally unacceptable to me. The installer referred to it as an "ease." I had this exact counter in my old place and there was no ease at all.
Now they are saying they can come back and try to make it more even, but that it may not be perfect.
Even if they would replace it or give me a refund I tell you I can hardly handle another countertop install. I am sure my neighbors would want to kill me if they had to listen to another cooktop hole being cutout since I live in a high rise with about a hundred neighbors.
On the other hand, I will have to look at this for the rest of my life since we are in our forever condo.
I should probably just let them try to straighten it out and ask for a discount, but to be honest the last countertop company took all the fight out of me. I may just let them polish it and call it a countertop.
What would you do?

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-12, 01:15 PM
S
The more I look at this the more annoyed I get. I don't want an ease. Should I tell them to polish the whole thing out? I think they could polish the ease with tape to make it straight and then polish the entire countertop to make the ease disappear. Is that even possible or am I making things up?

Old 08-01-12, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If the white is the countertop it needs to be properly radiused and polished. What did the do this with a sander?

Old 08-01-12, 01:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I agree, this looks awful and I would not accept it either.

Old 08-01-12, 01:31 PM
S
ya! haha! It really looks like they did it with a sander right? So far as being properly radiused and polished does that mean it is salvageable? Also, does the whole counter need to be polished? I'd like to be educated on what I am asking to do because I obviously can't trust them now.
I hope they are competent enough to finish it.
Maybe I should call another company in to give me an estimate on fixing it and just get a refund for that amount. I am so weary of these people now

Old 08-01-12, 01:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
This is the same company that installed the granite?

Old 08-01-12, 02:03 PM
S
no different company and on the recommendation of my contractor who is pretty good. shame shame

Old 08-01-12, 02:15 PM
S
so I called another company because I am cannot trust the original fabricator to fix it.
The new company said that the difference in color on the ease is because it was polished with a tool that is supposed to be used on black so it stained the ease. (notice in the photo the eased area is a different color from the top)
The new company is coming tomorrow to give me an estimate on either cutting the sink cut-out again since there is some overhang or doing a new radius on it. For this they will have to uninstall and take it to their shop.
Now this time I didn't pay the balance. I paid a $985 deposit and I would owe $985. I guess I am now going to use the balance to have it fixed and then take before and after photos so that if they try to collect I have evidence. I have never had to withhold a balance before so I don't know what legal protocol is. I will send them a registered letter stating my intentions. Any advice?
This is assuming that it can be fixed for $985. If it cannot I guess its BBB time again or small claims court.
Meanwhile I am living here with no kitchen and cooking for my husband and baby on the grill downstairs.

Old 08-01-12, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Has the original company had the opportunity to rectify the error? Have you told them you will not pay the balance, and why? What is their reaction? What did the new company quote for the repairs?

Old 08-01-12, 06:42 PM
S
The original company is supposed to call me to schedule a service call where they are to come out and try to fix the ease.
Like I said though, I can't trust them. I can't risk them messing it up beyond repair.
I have not contacted them regarding my intention to withhold payment. I will do so after I get a quote from the new company which is coming out tomorrow morning to look at the damage.

Old 08-02-12, 06:19 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
What kind of sink will be installed - drop in or under mount? I'm guessing under mount because of the polished opening. If that's the case it's poor workmanship.

Old 08-02-12, 09:18 PM
S
To answer your question it is an undermount sink.
I got a second opinion today. The guy from the company giving the second opinion said that he is aware of the company that did the work and that this company has been around long enough that he is confident that I can go back to them for the repair. My question is when is this going to happen? Someone was supposed to call me today to schedule an appointment. No one called.
The guy who gave me the second opinion said that they should take it back to their shop and make a new cutout in order to give me a tight ease. He said not to let them come do the repair with water in my kitchen on my brand new hardwood floors. Apparently they have to use a lot of water when they are working the stone so it doesn't burn. He said they will most likely try to wear me down because they won't want to take it back to their shop. It figures. I hope I can muster the strength to stand up for myself again.
So I'll call them tomorrow and start the fight.
This thread is getting boring, sorry, but I appreciate the support. I'm going to have a melt down.
Any opinions on how to deal with the complaint or anything else about undermount sink radiuses would be very useful in preventing my meltdown.

Old 08-03-12, 07:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
You've done the right thing to maintain leverage by not paying the full bill. Keep on them.

Old 08-03-12, 10:37 PM
S
Thanks! So I spoke with them today and they have scheduled me for an appointment next Wednesday. The guy was kind of insisting that the repair be done in my kitchen with water regardless of my new wood floors that are only oiled and not sealed. He said they would take it in (the area that hangs over the sink) with a grinding pad so that the resulting ease would be 1/8". I kept asking him if this was going to be done by hand how could the result look clean, straight, and more or less like it was done by a machine. He was unable to answer that and said that I will have to ask the installer who is also their most skilled fabricator. This said installer already told me when I complained about it upon installation that I would not get a tight ease anymore.
Now the company that gave me the second opinion told me that it is possible and that the counter needs to removed brought back to the shop and a new cutout made and polished.
Its pretty difficult for me to insist when I know less about it than they do, but I did tell them what the second opinion company said.
In short I have an appointment on Wednesday that I am far from confident will yield any good results.
Ugh! I've got to hold my ground.
I am going to call first thing Monday morning and demand (politely) to speak with the installer/fabricator. I am going to make him admit that the result that he can achieve by doing the work in my kitchen will not be what I am looking for. Then I will ask him to go back to his boss and explain.
I know how these things work. They would like to tell their boss right away, but the policy is always don't give them what they want at our expense unless there is no other resort.
A little back and forth and they will be convinced. Meanwhile my husband and daughter are eating cold cuts and occasionally a warm meal from the grill downstairs when I can manage it with the toddler. Ai ai ai!
Rereading my post I have decided that I am really going to lean on them and tell them that I am wise to their back and forth customer service antics and that I do not have time for it. I will stress that my toddler needs her steamed veggies and I need my kitchen done pronto. What the hell! These people are driving me mad. I believe I now suffer from situational mental illness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: