Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Remodeling old bathroom with current wood paneling.

Old 08-17-12, 11:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Ok, so we bought a house that was built in 1960 so the bathrooms are pretty old and outdated. Upstairs where the master bed is we have a half bathroom that has wood paneling. I'd like to know how to take it down, and also if I should put Sheetrock back up instead of paneling. Also, I'd like to put a shower in there, maybe one of those corner 3 panel door ones. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does everyone recommend laminent flooring instead of tile? If you guys think pictures would be a better way to show what the bathroom looks like now and help decide what I can do with it let me know.

Thank you!

Old 08-18-12, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How thick is the paneling that is in the bathroom? If it is the normal 1/4" stuff, it won't be difficult to remove. However, with that said, and since you seem to be on a path to complete remodel, I would remove the toilet, floor molding and vanity cabinet, leaving an empty room to work in. You can either remove the paneling or sheetrock over it. If the paneling is dark, you can also paint it, if it is in good shape. A lighter color would be in order.
Do you have access to the floor below the place where you want a shower? Is there water supply accessible to the wall behind where you want your shower? What are the measurements of the bathroom and where are the toilet and vanity located in the room? Is there room for a neo shower without the door hitting anything when opened?
IMO, do not put laminate in a bathroom. Moisture, inevitable misses, and spilled water will play havoc on the soft inner core of the laminate. Ceramic or porcelain tile would be even easier to install and will be there for a long time.
If you can post pictures of the bathroom you can do so this way: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: