Advice needed on basement bathroom remodel

Old 08-18-12, 12:42 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on basement bathroom remodel

Hi all,

I'm currently rehabing my basement bathroom, and need some advice on how to tackle the shower. The previous owners made a lot of bad choices with the original bathroom, and as a result I had to rip almost everything out and start again. I'm about to start work on the shower, and had a few issues I could use some advice on.

1) Some of the 2x4s have mildew/water damage. I was told that I could reuse them if I cleaned them and painted them with Kilz? Is that going to be acceptable, or am I better off just replacing the damaged boards?

2) The tub is pretty gross, but seems structurally sound. Assuming I can get it cleaned up, would it be worth keeping? Or would I be better off with a new one?

3) I'm planning to put up a fiberglass shower wall kit if I can, but I'm not sure how to handle this "shelf" that the previous owners installed. Do I need to reframe the wall so that it's completely even all the way up, or can a kit cover this? Also, does anyone have an opinion on what to watch out for on a showerwall kit?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-18-12, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If it were my bathroom, I would pull all the dark stained, moldy studs and replace with new ones. The mold may be dormant, but it is an investment ($2.35 each), not just something you are throwing together. The lip of the tub should be solidly against studs. The little shelf would be cute, but only if it were to be tiled up and over, then up the wall. If you plan on putting up panels (not my choice) then removing the studs and replacing them to the edge of the tub would work fine. what did they do, notch out 2x6's and lay the shelf on them?

Old 08-19-12, 01:42 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I think I will wind up replacing the damaged wood. It really shouldn't be too much trouble.

I don't know how to describe the "shelf," perhaps lip would be a better word? It's just a 2x4 laid flat between the tub and the wall. They then covered it with drywall and stone tile. I don't think that either the tile or the drywall used were rated for moisture, and the whole wall was basically rotting away.

Old 08-19-12, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You're right, but your wall has to come closer to the tub. You can replace what is damaged and place it right up next to the tub and the shelf will go away, since you are using the panels and they fit the tub exactly, no extra.
Now, if you want to keep the shelf, we can walk you through tiling the walls. Let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: