leaky tub

Old 08-21-12, 07:27 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaky tub

Attached are a few pics of my bath tub. It is new, came with the house. When I shower, water leaks out badly through the front corner. Theres no caulk there, so I plan to caulk the outside front corner. However, you can see the inside front corner, which is all sealed up.

I dont want water to get trapped in there and have no way out. It looks like water drains off the inside edge of the doorrail, which I included as a pic. I already cut away the inside caulking once, and noticed the doorrail is sealed pretty tight to the tub and wall, so I am not sure if cutting away some caulking will help the water drain inside the tub.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Attached Images    
Old 08-22-12, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If it is new, your contractor needs to take care of this. If you want to tackle it, note there is no silicone around the tub spout. You take a shower, water finds its way behind the spout, runs down the inside wall onto the tub lip behind the tile and moves out forming a leak. Same could be true for the control valve. Any silicone you put in must be applied to a perfectly dry surface, so put in fans or other methods of completely drying the tub and door surface before applying your silicone, and us a mold resistant silicone when you do.
A more aggressive approach would be to remove the door, resilicone it down and to the wall, and reinstall it. I think you may be surprised once you pull the bottom rail. I note the stile has no silicone on the outside, either, but that's mainly for pretty. It's the inside that counts.

Old 08-23-12, 06:22 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Harry, Thanks for the input. I have yet to check the spout and control valve (tho I was planning to check the spout anyways), but noticed that when I pour water onto the door rail (on the end at the frontside of the tub), it leaks out through that gap on the outside of the tub.

It seems that the door rail is designed to let water drain on the inside edge of the rail at the end, into the tub. I would at least like to confirm that that is the way it is designed, as seen in the picture. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: