Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Ripping out old shower (tiled enclosure). Best tips to prevent mold!?

Old 09-03-12, 07:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am in the process of ripping out an old shower surround, it's the basic tiled surround with moisture barrier, green backer board, cement backer board and tile. I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology... sorry Anyway, it's moldy and pretty gross. How can I prevent this in the future? What sort of tile will let less moisture in? Did I do a poor job of maintaining grout?

My plan is to build a bathtub surround and tile it. I will be searching for more information online but any tips will be helpful.

Thanks!
Cris-

Old 09-03-12, 08:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Chris, welcome to the forums! The greenboard is the problem, as it will harbor mold if it gets wet, as will anything mold has an opportunity to feed on. As you will gather in reading articles, wet areas should not be encased in greenboard. You should take your shower area completely down to the studs. Determine if there is mold present there, and take appropriate steps to get rid of it. Then insulate the walls, apply a 6 mil vapor barrier over the walls. CBU would be applied over the vapor barrier and the seams sealed using a proper mesh tape made for cbu and thinset. From that point you can do your design thing with the tile. With all that said, and on a more expensive note, you can use the Shluter brand wall treatment which is virtually waterproof from top to bottom. There are videos on how to do that on their site.
If you need help in your project, just ask away, tagging onto this thread. We all check in daily and can offer whatever help you need. Good luck and hope to hear from you.

Old 09-04-12, 07:21 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Chandler. Everything is debris now and I've sprayed it down with a bleach solution. I've actually hired someone to haul away the trash as the moisture issue is causing my asthma to flare up. Once all the debris is gone, I'll scrub it down with a mask on.

I read about RedGard. I will look up the Shluter stuff. The more I read about tile and mold and grouting - I wonder if a waterproof vinyl surround is the best solution?

Old 09-04-12, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
RedGard is an excellent product when applied to CBU. You'll have to make a decision based on what you find out on the Schluter stuff. It is a little more expensive, but many of the tile guys on the forum like it.
I just demo'd a tub/shower today and it was a really nice, hefty, thick walled, three piece unit... tub, and two wrap around sections. I am not a fan of the flimsy stick up vinyl shower surrounds. I guess it will depend on the quality expected and what is available. We will be installing a new tub and tile walls tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: