Shower Walls

Old 09-19-12, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Walls

Hi Everyone,

I am currently remolding a shower. I have the pan installed but before I started the wall I wanted to make sure I had my plan correct first. I plan on placing green rock down on the walls first, covering that with cement board, and then putting a sealer over the edges and corners of the boards before tiling. Is this correct or am I missing a step. Also should the sheet rock or the cement boards over lap the ledge on the top of the shower pan? Thank you for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-12, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Not missing a step, just one too many. You don't sheetrock the walls first. You insulate, apply a 6 mil vapor barrier, then apply 1/2" Durock or equivalent, mesh taping and finishing all the joints with thinset.
Now, with all that said, what type pan do you have? Is it manufactured or dry pack? You could post pictures of what you have and it may help us to help you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-20-12, 09:26 AM
Thank you! That is good to know.

Here is a picture of the shower pan. Let me know if its clear enough:

photo_zpsae7a06dc.jpg picture by Pattington721 - Photobucket

Its just a quick shot. Still fixing insulation and cleaning up so I don't sratch the pan.

I plan on putting down hardi board for the floor for tile, but I am guessing that is not the correct board you are saying for the showers?

Thank you again for the help. Great to know the green rock and a sealant like red guard are not necessary.

Have a great day,
Pat

Old 09-20-12, 03:41 PM
Hardiebacker is fine for the walls, it just has to be in 1/2" thickness while your floor will be in 1/4" thickness. Hardie/Durock, just different products, and are liked by different trades. I like 'em both, just prefer Durock on walls, and don't ask why. Either are fine. If you are installing something like a soap/shampoo cubby (didn't think of that, did you?), I like to redgard the inside of them just for a warm and fuzzy, since it has a slight flatness to the inside.

Old 10-03-12, 10:14 AM
Sorry for the slow response, but I just wanted to say thank you for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to point out my mistakes and show me how to correct them.

Old 10-03-12, 10:48 AM
Pat - No one around here makes mistakes. They are more correctly called learning experiences.

Old 10-03-12, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Well, I suppose if you don't learn from them they could still be called mistakes

Old 10-03-12, 01:26 PM
Benjamin Franklin said if you don't learn from your mistakes, you are destined to repeat them.

Old 10-03-12, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Yep, that's pretty sound logic.

I tell that to my employees - I don't care if they make mistakes because not making mistakes means you're not trying anything new. However, repetition of the same mistake is not well tolerated.

Old 10-07-12, 04:42 PM
Love the optimism and support. Thank you all. Really. Great community here

Old 10-07-12, 04:59 PM
Hope I was of some help. If you get stumped, just log on and ask. You can tag it on to the end of this thread so it will make sense in case someone else gets involved, which they will before it's over. NO Mistakes, just bumps. If you don't learn from your mistakes, you are destined to repeat them. Post some pix as you go or when you finish.