Update Kitchen Cabinets?

Old 09-24-12, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update Kitchen Cabinets?

Hi there! So I'm not completely new to the whole DIY thing...I've done a few (small) projects here and there. I've been eyeing our kitchen cabinets for a while now, and have been trying to figure out the best way to update them. We don't exactly have the budget to completely replace them, but they are in dire need of a good face lift (in my opinion anyway!).

I've attached a photo of one of our cabinet doors and a picture of a set of our cabinet drawers. My thought is to fill the indented design with paintable wood filler, add some trim, then paint/stain them. Anyone try that before? Or any better suggestions? That outdated indentation in all the doors drives me nuts! I wish it was just a flat surface I could work with

thanks in advance for any/all suggestions and advice!!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-12, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

First you need to determine what type of paint is currently on the cabinets - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html
If the paint is oil based you'll need to either stick with oil or use a solvent based primer before switching to latex or waterborne enamel.

You will need to stick with paint. Staining would require removal of all the paint and complicate filling the groove...... and there is no guarantee that the wood under the paint is stainable. Another option would be to replace all the doors and drawer fronts.

The groove can be filled but you'll have to pay special attention and make sure it is completely filled and as smooth as the rest of the wood IMO nothing looks worse than a poorly filled groove. If the wood filler doesn't do a good enough job, spread some spackling or joint compound over the filler and resand when dry. It's best to remove all the hardware. I like to mark the doors under the hinges with a sharpie. That way you can make sure the right door/drawer goes in the right hole for a good fit.

Old 09-25-12, 11:19 AM
Thanks so much! I can be a little OCD when it comes to projects - I would hate to put in that much effort to update them for it to come out looking terrible! So I definitely planned on paying close attention to filling the grooves! I didn't even *think* about using spackling/joint compound.

Old 09-25-12, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
've been eyeing our kitchen cabinets for a while now, and have been trying to figure out the best way to update them. We don't exactly have the budget to completely replace them, but they are in dire need of a good face lift (in my opinion anyway!).
I'm wondering what goal you have in mind. What would you like your kitchen, and your cabinets, to look like when you're done?

Hearing and seeing that would help us focus our advice.

Old 09-25-12, 09:13 PM
Great question! Haha. I'm still not 100% sure what I'm thinking of. My main thing is to see if anyone thought that filling the groove would be doable; and I got confirmation that the idea wasn't as crazy as my co-worker thought!

I've been sort-of researching the idea of using a gel stain with a graining tool to get that "stained" wood look that I like. Has anyone tried that with cabinets? I saw a couple of YouTube videos this morning on someone using that sort of finish on a steel door and it looked great, but I'm not sure if it's worth all of that extra work. I have to keep in mind that I *may* be the only one tackling this project.

I love the look of contemporary kitchens, though something too modern would NOT look good in this house. Our appliances are black and the counters will remain that light color...and eventually there will be hardwood floors put in (I'm not 100% sure when that's going to happen). Though I have a feeling that is going to take precedence over the cabinets. I'm in love with my parents' kitchen - maple (I think) cabinet doors, stainless steel appliances with gorgeous granite counters - but that's not really in the budget for this house. It probably wouldn't be worth the extra money for this particular neighborhood, unfortunately. Any ideas on the best (inexpensive) way to achieve cabinets similar to this is greatly appreciated!

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-12, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The best bet would be to reface the cabinets - all new fronts but you keep the carcase.
If you go the faux finish route, I'd rethink filling the grooves. It might be more difficult to make the groove completely disappear if you try to grain the doors/drawers.

Old 09-27-12, 11:15 AM
The best bet would be to reface the cabinets - all new fronts but you keep the carcase.
Funny you mentioned that...I was just on Home Depot's website the other night looking at their Refacing option. Figured I would get a quote before tackling a large project like this. Though it still may be worth it for us to just fill the groove and put a fresh coat of paint on them for now and then tackle the refacing option after our other priorities are taken care of (he really wants to get the floor done). Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-27-12, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are many online suppliers of doors, drawer fronts and refacing materials. If you can't find a good price locally...online might be a good option...as a rule they are pretty good quality and less expensive than any big box store. Big boxes want their people to do it...AFAIK they are not DIY for these kind of things.