Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Oops... Tiling issue around soaking tub surround.

Old 10-03-12, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So we took on remodeling the master bath in our house - it was builder quality tile which was 12 years old and chipped/cracking, along with the vanity and counter top.

Long story short, we gutted everything, pulled down the existing tile in the shower and on the tub surround and hung durock and started tiling again.

Obviously I should have measured things around and checked for how level things are because I got to the point where I'm at which is partially tiled the tub surround and its obviously not working out - the tub surround framing is not level at all (which I should have checked before tiling/durock).

In the photos below, the slope of the framing/tub goes up from left to right.

The right side is a good 11/16" higher than the right side. I removed the durock I had on the top of the tub surround for the photos.

Basically, how can I fix this without it looking awkward? If I just keep tiling the way it is now, the tile lines will look extremely slanted from the top of the tub surround.

Any suggestions? I've thought about ripping the tile off the surround and tiling from top down and just letting the floor eat up the mistake. This would be a lot of work since the tiles are already set so I likely will have to rip the entire panel of durock off and recut a new one, hang it, and start over.

Any other suggestions?

Photos attached.

thanks much.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/~hitman/IMG_0336.png

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/~hitman/IMG_0337.png

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 02:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There's only two choices. Remove all the tile and level the framing. Not sure how the framing was installed out of level, but that will come out later, I guess. Second, live with the awkwardness of the out of level lines. Yes, it would have been better to check things before you started, which brings us to the "you gotta tear it all out" thing, and do it right. Your floor can't eat 11/16" of anything and still look good.

Old 10-04-12, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
You could start tiling from the top and work down. Cheat the grout line thickness a little bit with each row let the worst of the angle be taken car of where it meets the floor. If the angle is just too much to make look OK you could keep the ground joints even. Work from the top down and install a tile or wood quarter round to conceal the imperfection. It looks like you'd have close to a full tile on the vertical which would help make any angle more difficult to see.

Old 10-04-12, 12:45 PM
ok.I don't do many houses anymore, but when i did, the tub was usually shimmed up to where the tile slid underneath the lip of the tub. saves many cuts and gives it a neat look. (of course the tub will need to be rebraced underneath with the proper bedding material). While its braced up, relevel the platform..tile should be installed level or the wall cuts and corners will be off..btw, you don't need 2 edges of bullnose at the corner..throws off the top layout. You can't really space grout joints that much..looks bad

Old 10-05-12, 09:00 AM
The top of the tub deck should be waterproofed as well (over the cement board). A paint on membrane like redgard would do the trick.

Best thing you can do hear is start over. Redo the framing and reset the tub. Get everything plumb and square. What tile guy said about the tile should go under the tub deck, yep. It'll be difficult to get the cuts around the tub (particularly the corners to look good). Also agree that you don't want to cheat the grout joints, it wont look good.

If you decide to do it over, install your cement board and tile on the floor before you install the tile on the deck walls or any walls. You want to leave room around the perimeter of the floor for movement of the cement board and floor tile which you cannot do if the wall tile are in the way.