granite counter bar-how is Corner usually done?

Old 10-07-12, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile granite counter bar-how is Corner usually done?

We are putting in a narrow, raised, counter section where kitchen walls were removed in a remodel of a rental where it will open up into the den and dining areas.
Granite is 1 1/4 inch granite uba tuba that was given to us. I Am going to hire someone off Craigs list to cut and smooth it. Since it forms the a small corner section of the room and is a 90 degree angle, my question is this. Since it will be cut from 2 pieces of granite, how would be best to do this.
Would I ask him to miter the 2 ends and join together to form the corner or would you form 2 straight blunt pieces that would but up against each other to form the bar corner? Never seen one done before.
Husband also wants some areas angled to avoid injury on sharp corners at joining corner area and where bar meets the remaining wall.
What type of adhesive is best to join the granite to the wood base also?
I assume that granite this thick cannot be cut with a tile wet saw ourselves and that polishing the rough edges is not a DIY project, is that correct? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Granite is not DIY and I'm not sure I'd trust it to someone off CL, either. Any friends or neighbors have granite installed so you could get a contractor reference from them? Barring that, best bet is to have three or more pros bid the job so you can compare.