Shower Floor Liner Help

Old 11-01-12, 12:25 PM
Shower Floor Liner Help

Renovation of master bathroom now has me to the shower floor and getting it prepped for tile. I am down to the existing subfloor (plywood) and need to install the floor to receive the tile. My question is this, do I install the Durock and then liner?

Also, as you can see in my picture below, the one wall is already tiled (previous owner). I now need to somehow do this liner but can only get about 1" onto that wall. I cannot find the same time so I do not wish to rip that tile off the wall. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Third question is, I got this shower drain. I am unsure if the angled peice belongs on top of the plywood of if I pinch this between the plywood for for support? Shower drain is this one - http://www.ca.kohler.com/onlinecatal...e/faa22290.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-12, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would hope you would study up a little before you begin. Nothing you suggested is correct for building a shower floor drain system. Also, 1 inch of liner going up the wall won't work. You want around 9" of liner up the wall so that you can cascade your moisture barrier that sits behind the wall backerboard to shed any moisture back into the liner and to the drain. A common fail on a shower is the seams in the corners which open up and let water in. Without the cascade of moisture barrier the water will flow into the wall cavity and eventually rot something out.

Also, the floor needs to be sloped so that the water flows to the drain.

This link is an excellent tutorial on how to build a shower drain the correct way.
How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

I know you are trying to preserve that one walls worth of tile. I think it will create more trouble than it is worth to keep it. I would take it out.

Old 11-01-12, 01:01 PM
The problem with the 1 tiled wall is all the walls in the whole bathroom are tiled. I cannot get the same tile as previous owner installed or I would rip it off. However I am thinking about doing a base tile different from the wall. That would allow me to rip the tiles off at the base up so high and install the liner and then tile over it and it would look like it was meant to be different.

Old 11-01-12, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are planning on installing a "framed" shower door, you can hide the seam between two different tiles behind where the shower door frame sits at the curb. Or you take out that one wall of tile to create an accent wall of a new tile that compliments the new shower and the rest of the bathroom.

Old 11-01-12, 04:11 PM
not mentioned, but you'll have to wrap your liner up over what appears to be a bench seat in the background, plus some extra framing at the sides. Have you looked at the kerdi system by shluter products to waterproof your shower and pan?. you will need their special drain, but its pricey, but more DIY friendly

Old 11-06-12, 06:29 AM
I have found the existing tile. So I will be removing the bottom row high enough to get the rubber membrane installed correctly.

Where can I purchase this membrane?

Old 11-06-12, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shower liners can be found in the big box stores in the plumbing dept. Ask if you can't find, as it sometimes is located on a verticle spool tucked behind the endcap and blends in. You purchase it by the linear foot. Make sure you get enough to go up and over the curb and bench seat. They carry membrane glue so that you can waterproof the corners near curb and bench. Floor mud is in the tile dept, wire mesh is in the cement dept (near rebar) and felt paper is in the roofing dept.