New member looking for some bid help.

Old 11-02-12, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New member looking for some bid help.

First off I would like to introduce myself, my name is Ben I work for a local tile company here in Maryland. Recently me and another guy have been starting to do a lot of little side jobs. Between us we have years of experience in everything from Electrical/heating and air/ to pretty much any type of carpentry work. We are currently getting ready to bid one of the larger jobs we have done so far and I was hoping I could get some insight. The job is renovating two bathrooms, the master bath we will be removing the old tub and installing a floor to ceiling tile shower with a wall to wall glass front, new vanity and tub installation, new drywall, relocating lighting fixtures, new door/frame, install new tile floors. The bathroom is very small only 59"x89". The second bathroom is all the same except we will be replacing the existing tub with a new tub instead of tile shower other then that all the same. They haven't decided exactly what materials they want to use yet, but I was hoping someone could give me a general idea of a estimated labor cost? I plan on going in toward the lower end of the spectrum because I understand we are not a company and there is more risk with us. Thank you very much for your help, and with all the different things that we get into I'm sure I'll be on here more often!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-12, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Estimating most any type of work is similar. You figure how much time you expect to spend doing the job [don't forget running to get supplies] multiplied by what hourly [or daily] rate you expect to make. You would also include part of the cost of being in business - license, insurance, overhead [if any], etc. I like to add about 10% to help cover unforseen issues.

Old 11-02-12, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Yep, how many hours this is expected to take times the dollar amount you expect to gross per hour is the starting formula.

Old 11-02-12, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are numerous books available through outlets like builderbooks.com and craftsman-book.com that provide forms to use as well as instruction.

Old 11-02-12, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I recall, at least years ago, that craftsman books lets you test the software before you puchase. The test should get you through the first job.