can I re-laminate countertops

Old 10-31-12, 01:16 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can I re-laminate countertops

Greetings all;

I've read found several sites/videos (youtube) about re-laminating countertops. How hard is this really? with router and laminate bit - is this doable in 2-3 days? have about 22 ft of countertop to re-do (four sections). cabinet depth is non-standard (built-in cabinets in '50's house), so stock countertops are too wide - overhang cabinets a bit too far. Custom countertops are running me nearly $1k - too much! Would I have to completely remove (sand off) the old laminate or just rough it considerably? Most sites recommend 80 grit. Thinking I can sand in 1 day. Also, have laminate as backsplash with metal trim. Is this hard to remove from the wall? thinking about adding a 1/2 plywood backsplash w/ new laminate (home-made).

thanks in advance - looking for quick replies - project for this weekend!

Old 10-31-12, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You have to remember why you are relaminating in the first place. They look bad, right? If they are square edged you can do it, but it will take some special router bits, files, etc. For the time and effort spent in doing what you contemplate I would custom build my own. I just went to my cabin to take this shot for you. It is simple, very inexpensive, durable, and I think it looks good. You may not like the tile, but I think you like laminate less. I think in 17' of countertop space I have less than $150 in it. The oak was the most expensive part of it. Tile about $1 ea, one sheet marine plywood, and concrete backer underlayment, thinset and grout.

Old 10-31-12, 01:51 PM
H
re: can I re-laminate countertops

Hi Chandler;

Yes, I saw your earlier post - nice job. Part of my problem is that the existing countertop has a rounded end on an "L" segment that extends into the kitchen (kinda a 'breakfast bar" but not). don't really want to try to cut that and really like that rounded end - fits/matches the rounded shelves below it. Wish I could post a picture but not at the house yet. I don't mind laminate, I just hate the 70's (? - maybe 50's) varied yellow squares design.

thanks

Old 10-31-12, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, that's what was in the cabin. Really dated. We'll be here when you get home. Do some pix and let us look at it, too. There's a way.

Old 11-04-12, 06:48 AM
H
Greetings again

Well, got to the house and went to work. Much to my delight the old laminate peeled up with a hevy duty putty knife and a hammer!!! No sanding required . . YEAH!!!!

I did pull up some plywood with the laminate, just small surface chunks, no bigger than 2-3 inches in size. I thinking I will have to fill in those spots for a smooth surface before I lay in the laminate. Any recommendations?

Also, am looking for suggestions about removing that backsplash. I am thinking it might be tacked to the wall and/or glued? Any thoughts there? The walls are plaster, not drywall.

Here's a couple photos.
Name:  Counter before.jpg
Views: 22044
Size:  23.6 KBName:  Kitchen counter.jpg
Views: 8016
Size:  28.7 KB

Thanks again in advance

Kelly

Old 11-04-12, 08:01 AM
H
Ok . . . Sometimes I just need to be brave!! The backplash came right off - just pried off the tack strip with prybar (?) and hammer. No damage to the wall. Yeah!!

But I did forget to ask how I should prep the plywood for new laminate. Thinking I should still sand off the old contact adhesive. How rough does the wood need to be? Still use 80 grit? The wood very smooth.

Guess I still gotta sand - bummer!

Thanks for you thoughtsName:  2012-11-04 09.31.00.jpg
Views: 8797
Size:  31.5 KB

Kelly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: