Need a little help...finish work

Old 11-05-12, 09:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a little help...finish work

I'm looking for a way to finish off where the tile/backer board meet the trim around the closet. I thought about trying to cover it with the trim around the closet, but that would leave a gap (when looked at from in the shower). I hope the pic shows what I'm talking about. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
A piece of wood trim should work. You'd want to caulk the joint between the wood and the tile..... how big would that gap be?

Old 11-05-12, 10:11 AM
About a half inch or so...

Old 11-05-12, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Your saying that the tile sits out further than the closet trim by 1/2"? Minor oversight in the planning I guess.

1- Obtain some matching bullnose tile that you can trim down to 1" to 1 1/2". Either position the bullnose orientated toward the shower with a hard turn fill piece back to the closet trim. or vice versa. You may have to add a thin strip of cement board to give a surface to attach too. Though I'm not sure how sturdy this would be given I can't see exactly what you have there now.

2- Perform the same relative procedure only use a piece of beaded lattice with a ripped return to the cabinet. At least you can get some fastners secured to the wood trim of the closet. Finish the shower side with color matching flexible caulk. Finish on the closet side will depend on how good you made your trim cuts.

Can you remove the closet trim, finish the tile work and go back and customize the closet trim to finish? Would allow you to shore up some backerboard to secure tile to.

Old 11-05-12, 11:38 AM
That's the problem...no planning. Lol. Won't make that mistake again! Thanks for the help!

Old 11-06-12, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure if it will work retroactively but a trim like this may work, requiring a little caulking on the wood side to hide the plastic/metal. A tool lilke a multimaster may help cut the groove needed. This is to show you a design, and by no means advocates buying anything from China. You can find these at local tile dealers. Google Image Result for http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00WeZQVfAsZDgh/Ceramic-Tile-Trim.jpg

Old 11-08-12, 01:19 AM
Nice one Chandler. that would look good as well as will solve the very purpose. I did some research over Google and they are available in California as well, and even the teak trims are available in the market.
There should be a good planning while making a bathroom be it the wall or faucets or vanities. Else they give such troubles today or tomorrow.

Old 11-08-12, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Even with the suggested tile edge trim, you still have to account for the 1/2" offset depth relative to the closet trim.

Old 11-12-12, 11:03 AM
Thanks chandler! I forgot I actually had something similar to that already. It's pencil tile...just doesn't have a "tab" like the one you showed. I think the tile I have will do the job. Thanks everyone!

Old 11-12-12, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The one Chandler suggests looks like it would work, but go on, before the tile.. ?!?
My thinking is to possibly trim out, or add to that wood side trim, with a wider piece, of the same material, to overlap the tile.. - and create a 'reveal' ...(like with some counter tops..horizontially) - - or just even with the tile... - Just an idea..!
..or use a wood stained 3/4 x3/4" O/S (outside) corner piece..

Old 11-12-12, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, ideally they are installed prior to tiling to form an edge. BUT, that's what multimasters are made for You could possibly groove out a place for the tab.

Old 11-12-12, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Anything is possible.. - Grooving out a place for the tab could be challenging for the best of us.. with risk of damage. - Not easily done, imo.
Probably better to leave as is, and cover with trim of sorts..
Just my $.02 worth..