Kitchen cabinet redo advise/comments/help!!!

Old 11-08-12, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen cabinet redo advise/comments/help!!!

I just joined the forum. I've been lurking for a while but now it's time to post!.

I just purchased a forclosure here in Fort Worth, TX. I'm working to remodel the kitchen. I am planning on living here for about 1 year so it has to be functional and nice to be able to sell/rent after the 1 year mark.

I'm working to decide on the kitchen cabinets. I purchased new to me appliances and the oven is 6 inches wider than the current opening. So I know I already have to widen it. my question is with the cabinets. Should I sand down and restain them or paint them white? I'm coming in with a darker color granite and stainless appliances.

Pictures are worth 1000 words:
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390343.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390347.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390351.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390355.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390358.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390529.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390532.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][IMG]http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/generalpat/1352390534.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Last edited by Wikid; 11-08-12 at 08:12 AM. Reason: pictures didn't work.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Here's your pics. There's been a little problem with attaching pics on here. Being worked on.

Old 11-08-12, 09:02 AM
Tks Shadielady!

Needed to add I also have (not pictures) a model/series matching cooktop to replace that nasty white one.

I planned on keeping the oven area where it is. Putting the fridge next to it and adding a cabinet/microwave slot/wine rack... Not really sure into the dead space in the back corner

Old 11-08-12, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Personally, I hate painted wood. Hence, I would lean toward stripping and restaining if these were too dark. That said, stripping and restaining cabinets is a big job.

Old 11-08-12, 09:49 AM
Holy outdated! I would paint to brighten the kitchen up. Even with paint, they cabinets are going to look real outdated. I'm not sure why you would to put granite on top of those cabinets either.

Old 11-08-12, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
I think I'd look into replacing that paneling with drywall as well, that would also lighten the room.

Old 11-08-12, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
To play on Drooplug's comment, maybe spend the money on new door and drawer fronts rather than the granite, and just put some granite look formica down instead. That cabinet style reminds me of some old country kitchen and the granite would look out of place.
Personally, I wouldn't go thru the work of staining those ugly cabinets, so if you want to keep them, I would just paint an off white or do black with white countertops.

Old 11-08-12, 11:10 AM
Wikid,

You're going to get varying opinions because your question is so subjective. Much depends on your kitchen budget, the value of the house and how much profit you're expecting when you sell it.

As a minimum I would get rid of the paneling and the cabinet doors. They are dated and they make the kitchen look dreary. Refacing can be expensive if you have it done but if you are buying doors and hardware and DIYing it can be reasonable. If the cabinets are good quality I would replace the doors and restain the face frames. You can probably get a local cabinet shop to make new doors.

Painting can be a good option to brighten up a kitchen. Visit a cabinet site like Kraftmaid for ideas. If I were doing the kitchen I would go for a lighter color with overlay doors and puck hinges.

Granite is pricey but there's a reason for that. It's not typically DIY and it is very high demand. IMO (again I don't know your budget) but granite or a synthetic stone would be high on my list. A bright modern kitchen with solid countertops goes a long way toward selling a house.

Also think about upgrading the lighting. I would get rid of what look to be dated flourescent fixtures and replace them with quality can lights that can provide both task and ambient lighting.

Old 11-08-12, 12:03 PM
I just think putting granite in a kitchen that almost any buyer is going to want to rip out is not going to give you any return on your money.

Old 11-08-12, 12:57 PM
I had similar issue in my kitchen and painted it in combination (almost) white - and black, but using chalkboard paint for the black, so I can write and draw on the black surfaces and change the kitchen look by changing the drawings. Also, added some red details. Now it is looking great.

Old 11-08-12, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Couple of observations - There already is some painted paneling to the right of the old wood burner underneath the 1/2 wall with the stair balusters on top (they need to go). So painting the paneling isn't a bad option it would brighten up things considerably.

Can't tell but it looks like there is a drop ceiling/acoustical tile ceiling that adds some age to the room.

Probably did not leave any extra tile laying around as it looks like the hearth went in before the tile which is shaped around it. Possible there is extra and it looks like a homeowner installed tile floor. Grout lines are not very straight on the long run into the dining room (?). The angle that the tiles are set relative to the walls/cabinets is random and not at a true 45 degree offset.

Carcass of the cabinets are probably solid ply with real wood shelves. Replacing the door fronts is a good option. Resurfacing is also an option for the exposed wood on the cabinets.

I'm guessing it is a ranch style house as the chimney flue goes up through the center of the house.

Is there any more than just the one ceiling beam? How does painting/cabinet changes effect the look with the one or more wood beam(s) still there?

Love the wild west "saloon doors".....

Old 11-08-12, 04:41 PM
Great feedback! Exactly why I joined the forum. Let me try to answer a few questions so I can maybe get a better idea of a route to take. (This is my 1st house to Rehab)

Mitch17-
I agree I hate to paint the nice wood. It just seems like the quickest/cheapest solution to move in the soonest. There is drywall behind all the paneling I'm just afraid of what shape it's in. I really think painting it would brighten it up.

Drooplug-
I agree on painting. I'm thinking cabinets white with some black accent around the patterns... As far as granite I can't find any other options that are cheaper.... I'm on the fence to Formica the counters myself because that will cost around 3-500 on my calculations. (point me to the cheap!) Granite installed has been quoted $1000-1100. to me an extra 500 is worth paying in the long run if I'm going to rent the place out.

Shadeladie-
new doors fell out of my budget. I had planned to spend much more until I got started and 1 problem leads to another. I question how painting the doors/drawers would look and leaving the backsides brown...

Wayne Mitchell-
Thanks for the input. I planned on 14k on the total rehab budget doing everything myself. being a foreclosure the a/c was stolen (house sat for 1 1/2 yrs) they also attempted to take the inside unit. I am almost finished putting HardieBoard 12" lap siding around the whole house (2250 sq ft) and detached garage (900 sq ft) and painting it. That almost doubled what I had estimated... Now just getting to the inside... I completely didn't plan for this... total surprise!!!

But after finished I'll have around 85-105 in equity. I got it for a killer deal. It's on 2 acres with an additional 2500 sq ft metal manufacturing shop with 3 phase wiring! I hate to go over budget but looks like it's inevitable...

The lighting is defiantly getting reamped! Along with the ugly discussing tile ceiling that was stapled to the drywall?!?!?!?!?!

Craftica-
Post pictures! sounds interesting!!!

czizzi-
That wall will go! I had planned on putting the oven/fridge/microwave on that wall to cover most up. I'm just not sure if that would be too much stuff...

It is a tiled ceiling that's stapled up there. I'm hoping the sheet rock underneath isn't destroyed and I can throw some mud and texture.

They didn't leave any extra tile. It took several trips there to figure out that the rock in the middle of the kitchen is for a pot belly stove. I picked one up since I didn't find any extra tile. at least it'll be a conversation piece!

The carcass is real wood. That's my original question as to how they'd look painted, half painted, or any other suggestions... I'm beginning to talk myself into painting

It is an older home built in 55. not sure what type of house I'd call it. I kindof like the saloon doors too!!! haha

--------
So with the current comments: Sounds like I should paint the cabinet doors/drawers. Decide on paint or re-stain the carcass of the cabinets. Paint/remove paneling. Still decide on the counter surfaces. If there wasn't a big tear in 1 part of it I would just do the new paint option. Pull tile down and add better lighting...

Off to caulk the porch and paint some Hardie!!!

Old 11-10-12, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Personally, I wouldn't go thru the work of staining those ugly cabinets, so if you want to keep them, I would just paint an off white or do black with white countertops.
Shadie is fond of high-contrast environments, in case y'all haven't figured that out.

Old 11-11-12, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
So far you've got some great ideas thrown at you, so you should be able to go. If this is a short term flip, granite is not the way to go, IMO. Whoever built your cabinets, built mine, as they are exact duplicates (circa 1973). That's weird. I should think the wall paneling has to go....not painted, but in the dumpster. Skim coat the sheetrock and paint that. Personally, I like the wood, and a good cleaning may help, as well as cutting down on cost. The contrast to a lighter wall color may help. I do like the exhaust fan surround....nice job, whoever did it. If you want a solid counter surface, you may can rip out what you have, install pt plywood, cbu and tile, banding it all in wood. Just an option. Looks like you got a good deal, so good luck with it.

Old 12-20-12, 08:28 PM
Yes I'm still alive, yes a few bottles of whiskey have been consumed.

Just a few progress pics. Lack trim, base boards, back splash, and LIGHTS!

Old 12-20-12, 10:35 PM
Wow! what a nice change!

Old 12-21-12, 03:26 AM
Absolutely!!! Only thing I would change is the hardware, maybe to stainless steel. Did you reuse the old? Great job. Jack Daniels would be proud!

Old 12-21-12, 05:23 AM
Tks! I did use the same hardware. I ended up putting a gloss coat on them and that really freshened them up and pulled the neat designs out of them. Ill look into hardware later or may powder coat them a stainless type color here at home.

But I'm really trying to stay on budget. As of today I have barely over $3500 into the kitchen. That includes the Granite counters, double stainless pro series oven, matching microwave, dishwasher, and cooktop plus the new fridge. Ill easily spend another 3-400 on lights and backsplash. I'm trying to keep it under $4,000.

Old 12-21-12, 06:18 AM
You're good. You did a $10 - 15,000 kitchen remodel for $4k, you have my compliments. Hardware can stay or be a "later" thing.

Old 12-21-12, 07:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I too say "Here, Here" a fine job indeed! I love before and after pictures. Thanks for the follow up with your post.

Old 12-21-12, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, that's a dramatic change. Thanks for the update.

Old 12-21-12, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, WOW! Good job! Looks really nice!