Removing concrete from walls

Old 11-12-12, 05:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing concrete from walls

While taking out a kitchen I found that a small part of the walls were for some reason concreted over instead of being plastered like the rest of the kitchen. I am really struggling to get the concrete off and wondered if anyone had any ideas how to remove it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-12, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What type of construction is the house made of? What is behind the concrete?
Pics might help us understand what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 11-12-12, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
If it's a masonry/cement wall with a cement skim coat I use a rotary hammer set to hammer and use a chisel bit. Doing it manually I use a pointed mallet and just chip away at it.

Old 11-12-12, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Probably an old tiled wall section. Most likely you will find metal lathe inbedded in the concrete that is a bit of a pain to get out. You need to chip away at the wall in the area that is between the wall studs. Get down to the wire lathe, cut the wire and you can remove that section of wall. If you have a rotary hammer, things will move along quicker. If you are agressive with the rotary hammer, you can snap the wire lathe as you go. Lots of dust and chips of concrete so protect yourself with a mask and tape off everything else with plastic. Also wear heavy leather gloves as the lathe will easily cut you hands.