Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

To remove this wall, or not remove, for kitchen island?

Old 11-18-12, 03:38 PM

We were just about complete with all of the planning and specs for cabinet resurfacing and new appliances, etc. in our corridor style kitchen, when a couple people suggested that the kitchen could be improved by removing this wall and building an island.

This wall which only contains the 36" refrigerator space and cabinets does not appear to be a load bearing wall; it runs parallel to the roof joists. The tricky part is the soffit at the top, though (raised ceiling). To get around that we could make the opening only as high as the door opening.

Now the challenge is we only had $30K for the kitchen enhancements, and I am not sure if knocking out the wall and adding an island might double the construction costs to $60K for example. I'm not worried about re-routing electrical, there are just a couple AC receptacles which I can do myself. We'd have to make the floor continuous with the other room, which we are planning to replace with tile anyway. We have another spot available on the opposite wall for the fridge.

If it was your kitchen would you feel strongly one way or the other to keep the corridor stlye kitchen with lots more cabinet space, or bust out the wall for the open space island style kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-12, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to remove the wall...a lot more work, but worth the extra expense. You won't regret it when you go to sell someday.

Old 11-18-12, 06:09 PM
Certainly do-able.. - If you do, your kitchen, with new island, will be the only 'seperater' to your dining area and living area beyond. Is that the 'open concept' you want to achieve?!?! - Sitting in the LR and looking into the 'kitchen' area?? - + Loosing Alot of cabinet space (often an issue in a kitchen).. and ending the 'open' area the end of the wall where it meets the doorway..?!?!? -
Not sure if its worth it IMO.. - but again, just my opinion..!

Old 11-19-12, 01:40 AM
Nice to hear the different views so far. I am thinking to turn the overhanging wall portion below the soffit into an arch like this:

Old 11-19-12, 07:11 AM
I like it! Really transforms the area...

Old 11-19-12, 07:38 AM
Nice to hear the different views so far. I am thinking to turn the overhanging wall portion below the soffit into an arch like this:
An arche will make thinks much more complicated for you (and add $$).
We had a similar arrangement with a small kitchen and wall that seporated it from the living room. Had we not sold that house, I would have cut most of the top part of the wall out to make a window between the two areas and turn the bottom into an island. I couldn't remove the end of the wall as there was no way for myself (or a contractor) to repair or retain the hand crafted plaster molding.

Old 11-19-12, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, do you like an open room plan or do you like separate rooms better?

Something to think about, is the huge mess knocking down a wall is going to leave. The dust, dirt and mess will be everywhere and I mean everywhere. Make sure you're ready for that if you go this route.

Last thing, while that picture with the arched wall looks nice, your kitchen will not necessarily look like that. If you don't have designing software, it may be worth your while to pay a pro to show you what it will look like so you can try before you buy.

Old 11-19-12, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't hesitate. In fact I removed a wall separating our kitchen from the dining room when we renovated the kitchen. You'll find that having the kitchen open to the dining room is great, especially when you have guests. The island becomes a focal point. People will tend to gather around your new kitchen island for conversation and munchies while you're slaving over the hot stove.

Open floor plans are currently "in" and they have been for quite a few years. I think that if done well you'll add value to your home. A really quality open kitchen is one of the big sellers if your home goes on the market.

Demo is no big deal. Some of the "DIY" shows on TV make it look like a nighmare. Trust me, it isn't. Just be ready to deal with dirt and dust. Plastic drop cloths separating the dining room from the kitchen, a good shop vac and a couple of large trash cans for debris.

Planning is the most critical part of the work. Know exactly what you want before you start and take an honest look at your experience and skill levels. If you have to bring in a sheet rock guy, an electrician etc. make sure to budget for it.