Hanging Cabinets with Crown Molding

Old 11-25-12, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging Cabinets with Crown Molding

Hi. Inexperienced do it yourself-er.
I have demo'd, sheetrock/spackled. I am ready to hang cabinets.
I have 39 inch cabinets. I have 8 foot ceilings.
If I start the bottom of the cabinet 54 inches from the floor, it will give me 3 inches from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling.

I have from what I can tell, 3 inches to nail in molding. There is single beam molding, which lays flat on top of the cabinet. Then another piece of molding which goes vertically on the single beam. Then the final 1/4 piece of crown molding which goes into the vertical molding.

I do not see how its possible to nail in all 3 pieces, with only 3 inches of space.
I can put a wood block on top of cabinet (to use for filler and crown) but how would I secure the wood block.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 06:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Why are all three pieces of molding needed? Since you rebuilt from scratch, aren't there other choices?

Old 11-25-12, 06:51 PM
Good question. I am thinking the guy from home depot might have sold us the molding for 36 inch cabinets instead of 39 inches. When I took out all of the pieces of molding it just wasn't making any sense to me. Nailing in single beam molding flat onto the top of countertop, then some kind of block, to nail in the filler. Then crown into the filler...

Old 11-25-12, 06:53 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Then exchange it for something else.

Old 11-25-12, 06:57 PM
Of course, I can do that. But I'm not sure if the problem is that the molding they sent was incorrect, or I don't have the know how to install it.

Old 11-25-12, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the pieces, knowing the measurements of each. Can you post any pictures? Or a diagram of the way it is supposed to lay out?

Old 11-25-12, 07:13 PM
Here is how the guy from home depot drew it.
You can see the SBM is the flat piece.
Then there is a vertical piece (backed by the square box with an x)
Then the crown piece...

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-12, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
What's the vertical height of the crown when it's sitting at the proper spring angle? It would have to be pretty small since you would be left with 2 1/4" once the SBM is on.

Does the SBM have a profile on the front edge?

Old 11-25-12, 07:25 PM
I pulled out 3 diff pieces and put on top of cabinet
It came out to approx 4 inches - which is why I am thinking its either wrong, or I am laying it out incorrectly.
But crown cannot be more than 1 inch. SBM is 3/4 approx.
SBM has a rounded edge, its supposed to hang a little bit over the cabinet once you lay it flat.

Old 11-26-12, 06:22 AM
You will have to assemble the inverted T on the ground and screw up into from the cabinet top. I think you will also need a 2X2 screwed and glued into the ceiling to back up the vertical piece. If these mouldings are hardwood, you may have problems trying to drive nails without breaking the assembly apart. I'm not sure if that addresses your problem or are you saying that the whole assembly is too big for the space? You could also attach this whole thing to the ceiling before hanging the cabinets but it will require some very precise measurements and layout.

Old 11-26-12, 06:41 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What if he does all that & it doesn't fit? They won't refund his money. Exchange it for something that is sure to work.

Old 11-26-12, 07:21 AM
What if he does all that & it doesn't fit? They won't refund his money. Exchange it for something that is sure to work.

I'm not exactly clear on what the problem is. The assembled mouldings are too big for the space or they don't know how to fasten it together in the cramped space? Dimensions of the pieces are not given.

Old 11-26-12, 10:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In his post at 10:25 PM last night, he said the total came to about 4 inches & he only has 3. I don't see any reason to go crazy, with it. A one piece molding is all that's needed. Not only that, the molding can't be seen above the cabinets if there are only 3 inches.

Old 11-26-12, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure I understand the problem. I had the exact same setup when I installed my cabinets. I think it's standard with Kraftmaid cabinets and the molding came with a cross section drawing. However, my cabinets are 36" so I had a bit more room. IIRC the vertical molding supplied is wider than the clearance you have.

The vertical piece of molding allows the crown to be moved up and down to suit the height. If your vertical piece is too high (wide) for the space you have you can rip it to the needed height. My guess is that if you rip it to 2" you'll be fine.

I just reread the OP and now I see the problem. Because of the tight space I predrilled, glued and screwed the flat piece in place and then I used a finish nailer and glue for the vertical piece.

Old 11-26-12, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
I'm still waiting for an answer to my original question about how tall the vertical height of the crown moulding is, (JUST the crown moulding, not it in combination with any other piece) when it's measured in position.

The space between the BCM and the bottom of the crown is the variable. Sounds like he has 2 1/4" to work with above the BCM if he goes with it as drawn.

Depending on the size of the crown moulding, it could also be nailed to the face of the BCM. But the "exact" vertical height of the crown moulding (not "approx" height) would have to be figured in when the wall cabinets + BCM are set. IMO that configuration would look better anyway.

Old 11-27-12, 08:44 PM
Crown is 1 1/4 inches when put on its proper angle
Single bead which goes on top of cabinet is 3/4 inches
If the floor to ceiling were perfect, 96 inches to the top, then I'd have 3 inches of play. However the ceiling is 95 1/8 to top.
So if I hang at 93 (top of cabinet) - I have approx 2 inches to get the molding in
I think if I screw (or nail) the single beam into top of cabinet. Then put the "filler" flat, isntead of vertical (because i dont have room) - then face nail/screw the crown into the filler, that might work
Tnx for responses

Old 11-28-12, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you'd need to drop the wall cabinets 1" to make it work as drawn.

Old 12-07-12, 06:17 PM
I've figured it out. We are not using that 3rd piece of molding (vertical piece)
We are using the single bead, with a block on top, and the crown nailed into the block on top of the single bead. Its not easy because crown is tough, but thats the solution., Tnx for the help