How do I repair a shower door?

Old 11-30-12, 01:38 PM
How do I repair a shower door?

I have a semi-frameless shower door which hangs on a pivot hinge that runs the entire length of the door. The only thing holding the glass in place is the friction of the hinge and a vinyl gasket.

For the past few years, the door has been slipping. At first I would pull the glass up again and it would last for a few months. That became weeks and eventually days. Finally, the door fell out of the hinge completely, taking a divot out of the wall on the way to crashing against the floor. Amazingly, the glass did not shatter.

I cleaned the hinge side of the door, cleaned the vinyl, reapplied it and inserted into the hinge. It held for about 30 seconds before falling again, this time into my waiting hands.

I can't find any information about the maker of the shower door, but it is just basic builder-grade stuff, 1/4 glass (or maybe smaller, if such a thing exists.

What's the best way to go about fixing this myself? Is there an adhesive solution, or should I replace the vinyl gasket? My first thought was just to drill two holes through the hinge and glass, secure with bolts & nuts, and it would never slip again, but then I worried that the glass might be tempered.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-12, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't drill through tempered glass, you will end up with thousands of pieces when it shatters. Given that, I would take the gasket to local glass shops that do shower enclosures. I'm sure they could recommend or supply a new gasket that has not broken down and still has the original grip. Or they may have other ideas to share with you.

Old 11-30-12, 11:01 PM
Good advice on the gasket. Talked to a local glass shop and I'm going to take the vinyl strip over for them to look at before they order a replacement.

Old 12-01-12, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for getting back with us. Let us know if we can offer any additional advice.