Countertop Edge Options

Old 12-05-12, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Countertop Edge Options

I want an edge option that is reasonable for my 12X24 Absolute Black Granite tiles.

>>I found Home Depot had bullnose edge tiles:
2 in. x 12 in. Absolute Black Granite Rail Molding Wall Tile (1 Ln. Ft. per piece)-SMOT-RAIL-PBLK at The Home Depot (SEE photo with this post)

Presently at almost $7 each this is pricey to go around an island as well as all of my counters...some 40 ft. $280 which does not include tax.
>>Of course there ARE a lot of 1 inch tiles out there that might look great as vertical edging mounted next to or under edge of granite countertop tiles.
They usually come on a screen mesh back and could be cut apart for single rows, getting 12 feet out of one 12"X12" sheet.

I think I will stay with putting the surface horizontal large tiles to hang out over the edge 3/8-1/2" and will simply use:
HIGH GLOSS POLYCRYLIC to "paint" a gloss edge on the non-glossy edge of my large tiles. (Who needs to buy pricey tool to polish or pay someone to do it= silly.)
This small 3/8" edge will be on the vertical side of tile & can be easily reapplied if it gets worn off in cleaning.

Of course cutting 1&1/2 " sections of my 12X12 tiles will be tedious, pricey, frustrating...

so I may rethink this idea and use a Ranch/Colonial Stop in oak (similar to idea shown of a tiled countertop with wood edge already submitted photo here, only finished like my cabinets). Colonial edge Stop is for doors so is usually in 7 foot pieces has a nice 2 step angle cut profile on oneside that would be nice. (SEE photo with this post) I will just have to put many coats of polycrylic to seal all over & any wood filler putty to protect it from water/cleaning products. Of course you can't use grout next to real wood as it expands at different rate than granite so I would use a clear narrow bead of poly/silicone adhesive caulk.

I could also finish the wood Colonial stop with simple Black MARINE type paint and picking a few faux Absolute Black granite tones in paint applied here & there and some dot dabs of satin polycrylic over the glossy polycrylic will mimic the splotchy two tones found in black granite. I would avoid nails then & just attach with Liquid Nails to my vertical piece of wood or 1/4" denshield/cement board.
At less than $6 for 7 feet, I can experiment all day on a piece of wood & be ahead of the $280 in real bullnose granite edges.

Funny how manufacturers don't provide some faux look replication of granite in ceramic or porcelain 1&1/4 X 12 inch pieces!

I will try to post when I get done with a section. Time to get busy.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Nashkat1; 12-05-12 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-12, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I moved your post to its own thread so that replies to your questions would be kept separate from replies to other questions.

Looking forward to further pics!

Old 12-06-12, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Oak doesn't necessarily paint well. It has an open grain that primer/paint alone won't fill. If you go that route you'd want to use either a oak grain filler or joint compound to fill the grain. Basically you smear a thin coat over the wood, let it dry and then sand as much of it off as you can. That fills the grain so the paint job will be smooth [no open grain showing]

Old 12-06-12, 05:43 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I think you can achieve the look you desire using your field tiles ripped down to your rail height and doing a lap corner. You can then address the raw edge of the granite with a stone sealer that gives you the "wet" look. It would approximate the look of polished stone. Would last longer than a painted surface which would be subject to chipping. Rent a high quality wet saw that has either a sliding table or sliding saw blade to achieve the best rip cuts.

Old 12-06-12, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
If you want painted wood, something cheaper like poplar would be a better choice than oak. Oak would be best stained and finished with polyurethane instead of painting it, as you also proposed.

Old 12-06-12, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I would think polar would dent easy but it does paint better than oak. I couldn't afford oak when I did my kitchen counter tops but used yellow pine [for the banding] instead as it's a lot tougher than white pine.