Newbie Here: Bathroom Remodelling

Old 12-22-12, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I dug and dug, and found a very hard and strong concrete. Here is where I stopped. There seems to be a PVC pipe connected to a Rubber gasket of some sort, and below that I can feel a metal pipe.

I can dig further down, if you guys advise me to, otherwise I'll just assume I don't have a trap.

what would be the next course of action?

Pics
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99633682_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-12, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Unscrew the top most screw on the rubber furnco boot and lift the PVC out of it. Look down in the pipe with a flashlight. If you see water, then there is a trap. If the bathroom has not been used in ages, then you may need to pour a liter of water down the pipe. Also, if someone flushes a toilet in the house, can you hear water rushing noises coming out or the broken pipe? This would also point to no trap in the line. My feeling is that there is one, we just cant see it yet. Seal it all back up after the test.

Old 12-23-12, 06:21 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I would certainly replace that rubber coupling.

Old 12-27-12, 11:28 AM
Ordering the Schluter Kerdi System, and I can now confirm that it is indeed a trap. I had to order a shop-vac and vacuum a bit of the dirt out. I poured water in, and I'll return to check in a few hours to see if it's still there.

I'll keep you posted when I get the Schluter in the mail.
thanks guys

edit:

should I get ABS or PVC drain pipe? I guess I currently have an ABS pipe (its plastic and black.) and the owner put a rubber coupling with PVC drain.

Problem is that my ABS pipe is really crooked and not completely straight down.

Old 12-29-12, 04:23 AM
Andy

The kerdi drain comes in abs and pvc. If you already have abs, continue with the abs and order the abs drain. Great choice ordering the kerdi kit. I have installed several kerdi showers. I have never used the kerdi tray though. I have always used deck mud as showers are typically custom sizes. If one of the trays fits your opening then go for it.