Ideas for shower

Old 12-19-12, 08:06 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ideas for shower

Hello all. We just bought our home in late October and are finally settled. In the master bathroom, there is a shower enclosure, but the wall areas above it are just painted drywall and these areas get splashed, steamed, etc. I'm looking for an economical, yet stylish way to cover these walls or replace the drywall with tile or something else that holds up to moisture better. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 12-20-12, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Posting a couple of pictures of the shower area may help garner better advice, but what you propose is a good idea. Is the enclosure all the way to the ceiling, or is their air space provided at certain points?

In order to install tile, you would need to remove the sheetrock and replace it with a vapor barrier and concrete backer underlayment. If the sheetrock does not exhibit signs of water damage, you could also install a Schluter membrane on top of it and apply your tiles to the ceiling. Is the enclosure premade fiberglas, or is it tiled? Like I said, pictures may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 12-20-12, 06:12 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. It is pre-made fiberglass, and stops about 3 feet shy of the ceiling. Not sure if I want to go to the extent of tile at this time. Are there panels, etc. that I can seal and cover the exposed drywall areas with?

Old 12-20-12, 07:06 AM
You can buy HDF (Masonite) panels that glue to the walls and their associated trim pieces, but as far as "sealing" out moisture, it may not happen unless you caulk all the edges. You may only find the panels in white, so there may be a tradeoff.

Old 12-20-12, 08:32 AM
B
Actually the bathroom is trimmed in white, and the enclosure itself is white, so this sounds like an easy, functional solution. Caulking it isn't a big deal either. Do you recommend silicone or something else?

Old 12-20-12, 09:08 AM
Yeah, a white (again) Silicone II with a perfectly dry place to put it would be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: