Master bedroom bathroom.

Old 12-24-12, 07:25 AM
Master bedroom bathroom.

Hello everyone, I have a mostly finished basement which consists of the master bedroom and a family room. Me and my wife use the family room almost every day, and occasionally have friends over. We have been wanting a bathroom down there since moving into the house, and I have bounced around a lot of ideas on how to do it, I came up with this idea recently and it is my favorite out of all the designs so far. There is a walk in closet for the bedroom that measures 4Lx7W, behind that closet wall in unfinished basement which measures 6Lx7W, so If I were to combine those two areas I should have an area roughly 10'Lx7'W.

The idea is to put the bathroom into an area that would be 6x7. The wife really wants a larger bathtub, our bathroom upstairs is small and wouldn't accommodate a bathtub, but I don't think this bathroom will fit one either. My drawing right now is a 36x36 shower, a upflush toilet and a vanity sink that measures 30x24. At the end of the bathroom there will be 3.5x7 walk in closet.

The shower I am actually looking at is 32x32 but I made it a little oversized just for safety room on the drawing. Since me and my wife would be the ones primary using it, i would rather have it be attached to the bedroom, also its not a big deal if my friends/family use it. What do you guys think of this plan, think it will be to small, or not enough room. Any input would be great.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-12, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
It will be tight but I think it will work. Not counting the shower, my bathroom is only 4' x 6'.

I have one question, though - are you proposing the entrance to the closet is from the bathroom?

Old 12-24-12, 08:31 AM
I;m a bit confused about the size of the planned bathroom. Is it to be 6X7 or
10X7?

In any case I'm not sure you'll be happy with a 32" shower. We vacation at a "rustic" place on a lake and their showers are 30". They are positively claustrophobic and you can't turn around w/o banging into the shower handle.

If the wife really wants a tub shop around on line there are all sorts of sizes and shapes available. A shower/tub combo might be an answer or a jetted tub might get you a hall pass from the wife.

Since it's to be a master bath I would opt for as big as possible even if it means losing a bit of space in hte other rooms.

Old 12-24-12, 08:33 AM
My bathroom upstairs is 9x3 not including the bathtub area, its a little tight but its not to bad.

Yes the entrance to the closet would be straight ahead from the door going into the bathroom, the doorway would be smaller of course, and I don't plan on putting a door on it, to get to the closet you would walk through the bathroom.

Old 12-24-12, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
OK, I don't like the idea as much now that I know the room also has to be a hallway.

Old 12-25-12, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
9' x 3' for a bathroom??? Jail cells are bigger than that.....so I have heard Combining the bath and closet may cut down on usable space.

Old 12-25-12, 10:08 AM
So I re-thought the design and here is what I came up with. The area coming in from the bedroom is the doorway with no door on it(it will have a door on it of corse). Right inside the doorway on both sides will be wall mounted hangers to hang our clothes on with shelves above, I may close it in and put a door on it, I am not sure yet. The bathtub will be a 6x36 whirlpool tub, just like the wife wants. The area that extends out that makes the "L" shape is the current entrance way into the unfinished area of the basement. There would be a doorway there so people wouldn't have to travel through the bedroom to get into the bathroom.

Kinda awkward shape but I think it could work.

Attached Images  
Old 12-25-12, 12:22 PM
Now you are on the right path. Like that much better!!!

Old 12-25-12, 07:06 PM
I like the idea, but in this case I mys well just do away with the doorway into the bedroom and just leave the closet where it is. The way the bathroom is layed out now, it would fit on the other side of the closet.

Old 12-26-12, 05:47 AM
Yes, if you have access to that wall, I would do that. I wasn't sure what framing or structure was on that wall space. Always better to separate them.