Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Bathroom re-do.....First timer...please help!!!!

Bathroom re-do.....First timer...please help!!!!

Old 01-04-13, 10:50 AM
Question Bathroom re-do.....First timer...please help!!!!

I am re-doing my bathroom. Its small. I have a white pedestal sink with chrome fixtures, white toilet and eventually a white shower (no tub). I ripped off wallpaper and now I want to paint. I picked out a couple colors that I like from Sherwin Williams. One is called Down Home (brownish/clay color) and the other is a grey/blue called Distant Thunder. I like a brand of tile at Menards called "snap stone" but I am thrown for a loop on which color the floor should be with brown walls. Should the floor be darker or lighter than the walls and do I dare throw white trim in there if I choose the "crema" colored tile with brown walls? For the Distant Thunder color I was looking at a Snap Stone color called mist, which was a greyish/white...maybe that would be too grey? Not too knowledgable on color schemes, lol. Do my bathroom colors have to blend with the rest of my house, which has a woodsy/cabin feel??? Any suggestions on what to do with the color I've picked out or suggestions on other colors that would be good in a small bathroom would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are the paints rated for kitchen and bath? If not, I would choose paints which are.

Second, dark colors make rooms look smaller, so I would opt for lighter colors since you say the room is small.

Old 01-04-13, 11:42 AM
I'd second Mitch's suggestions.
A light colored room is also easier to light, which would make getting ready after a shower easier.

Old 01-04-13, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Regardless of what color you paint the walls, I'd definitely keep the floor light. Whether to go with the Mist or not, do you prefer "warm" colors or "cool" colors. What colors are the rest of your house? What colors do you like in clothes? That can help you decide.
Dark colors can look nice and cozy in a small room, BUT it'll get old real fast.
As for trim, go with an off white which will work with either color and not look too stark. Then again, you can use the same color as the rest of your house.
Your bathroom doesn't have to blend with the rest of your house, but if the rest is warm or cool, I'd blend with that.
Warm's have yellow undertones and Cool's have blue undertones.

Old 01-04-13, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Mitch mentioned, bath rm paint is best.... although most latex enamels will fair ok if you have a decent exhaust vent [and use it] I've always been partial to having all the woodwork throughout the house painted [stained] the same color. If I was to change the woodwork color in just the bath rm, I'd either match the vanity color or paint it the same as the walls. I also agree that lighter colors are better in small rms.