tiling a tub surround with a window

Old 01-05-13, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tiling a tub surround with a window

Hi,

I am doing a bathroom remodel (complete novice BTW). I gutted the whole room down to the subfloor and studds. I have replaced all the plumbing and electrical and have installed cement board to the floors & tub/shower surround and drywalled the ceiling & walls.

I'm ready to start tiling my tub surround. One of my obstacles is that there is a window on the back wall. I replaced the window, so right now there is no trim. The cement board is flush with the rectangle opening that the window is seated in.

Question #1:

Should I install the tile and then trim over it, or should I install the window trim and then cut the tile around it? Does it even matter?

Question #2:

I'm tiling up to the ceiling. Should I install molding around the entire bathroom and then tile up to the molding, or should I tile, then somhow cut themolding to fit around the tile in the tub surround?

Thanks in advance! This is the first time I have ever done any of this.

-Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-13, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
You would trim, and then tile up to the trim in both instances. Backing out the trim with a filler (that would be hidden by the tile) is an option if you think the tile would make the trim appear "sunken" or recessed. But I'm not sure you'd want a ceiling molding in the tub area in the first place. You might want to rethink that.