Kitchen counter top replacement

Old 01-06-13, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen counter top replacement

We just recently purchase a condo in West Palm Beach and plan to make some upgrades. We'd like to replace the kitchen counter tops and leave the cabinets as they are in good condition. The problem is it appears the existing top is only 1/2 thick and turns down on the front of the cabinet. Also there is an odd silver/chrome insert on the front of the cabinet. I have attached some pictures of the cabinet top surface. Does anyone know what kind of product if not granite can be used to replace the top? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-13, 08:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you can't find the manufacturer, it's going to be a problem. I just looked through a couple hundred pics of counter tops & I don't see anything, close to that. Maybe someone on the condo board has some information.

Edit: I forgot to say that the current counter tops look really nice. You could rent a buffing wheel to make it shine. If you go that route, just use water, no chemicals.

Last edited by Pulpo; 01-09-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 08:22 PM
You could probably tile it or do a solid top (granite, corian, etc) with a custom front piece. Kind of like a backsplash but along the front edge. If you want to remove the custom insert, you'll probably have to create some sort of spacer block to fill in the gap that will be created. I'd probably bring in a custom countertop guy and see what he can do for you.

Old 01-10-13, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wow, what nice countertops. I know you don't think so, but, I'm with Pulpo. Random orbit sander with a really fine, say 2000 grit paper and you could bring out the pzazz of the top. Use water only. Good backsplash and you're saving a few thousand dollars.

Old 01-10-13, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I forgot to say that the current counter tops look really nice. You could rent a buffing wheel to make it shine. If you go that route, just use water, no chemicals.
I would use the same woven cover and buffing compound that people use to remove oxidation and restore shine to cars that they really care about.

Edit: See Pulpo's point about why this may not be a good idea.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 01-10-13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 04:17 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You don't want buffing compound near food. That's why I said to use only water.

Old 01-10-13, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You don't want buffing compound near food. That's why I said to use only water.
Ah. I didn't realize that. Thanks.