Seal Backsplash

Old 01-20-13, 04:15 PM
Seal Backsplash

I have some sealer and want to apply it to the backsplash on my kitchen. The backsplash is Travertine with thin grout lines. My plan is to apply the sealer to both the face of the travertine tiles as well as the grout lines.

The directions on the sealer packaging say to wipe of any sealer that has not penetrated after about 5 minutes.

I am a bit confused by these directions. Do I really need to wipe up any sealer that has not penetrated after 5 minutes? As mentioned before, I want the sealer applied to entire surface (face of the tiles & grout lines).

I am concerned that if I wipe up any sealer after 5 minutes, it may limit or inhibit the coat of sealer from its full effectivenes.

In a nutshell, should I still wipe up any sealer that has not penetrated after 5 minutes - or just leave it be and allow it to penetrate and evaporate untouched?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-13, 04:28 PM
If you let it dry on the tile face, it may leave a haze that you can never remove. The grout will only soak up so much and no more. I would follow the directions.

Old 01-21-13, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Five minutes is plenty of time for the tile and grout to soak up their limit.