Quartz Countertop Installation

Old 01-24-13, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quartz Countertop Installation

I am planning on istalling quartz countertops on my island but would like to have the quartz "waterfall" down the sides of the cabinets. The island is 3.5' x 9' with 5' of cabinetry and the other 4' is open underneath for stools on both sides. What type of support is needed under the quartz for the sides?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-13, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! "Sides" is pretty uninforming. Give the complete measurement of the cabinetry with "sides" being the narrow part and the "front/back" indicating the long measurement. Which will have the overhang. Having a 2' overhang is pushing the envelope. The only way to properly support the countertop and still have the beauty is to install Corbels underneath. Corbels generally run up to 12" in length of support. That still leaves you with an additional 1' of overhang, which could cause problems with added weight or impact.

Old 01-24-13, 05:21 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Island

It sounds like the island is made up of two 30 in. base cabinets with a 4 ft. space between them. Am I correct?

Old 01-24-13, 12:12 PM
Good call, Ken. Hopefully the OP will verify that;, so we can get on with it.

Old 01-24-13, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I've attached a photo (I think) of something very similar to what I want to do.

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-13, 04:49 AM
Counter Top

OK, so the cabinet section is all together and the 4 foot open span is at one end. The problem is the same: how to support the 4 foot open span of the counter top.

Old 01-25-13, 07:16 PM
This type of insatllation is becoming more common but my installer is not sure how the side panel gets support or attatches to the floor for stability? Any suggestions?

Old 01-26-13, 04:55 AM
End Panel

An end panel will have to be installed to attach to the floor and support the end of the counter top. The end panel would be finished on the inside and have an outside surface suitable for attaching the waterfall.

Old 01-26-13, 05:29 AM
I agree. A matching end panel will fit under the horizontal top, set back the width of the waterfall, with small angle brackets attached to the top and to the floor. Then the waterfall is glued/siliconed onto the end panel, inset flush to the end of the countertop.