Which bathroom style????? (for resale value)

Old 01-26-13, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which bathroom style????? (for resale value)

My god I am overwhelmed. I went on Houzz.com and there are literally hundreds of thousands of pictures of bathrooms alone. Which bathroom styles are best for resale value AKA considered very "popular"? If it was my own bathroom and this was my forever home, I would design it with whatever I like but I know that I am selling this house in the near future so I need to make the remodel something that will appeal to everyone. Family with kids, old people, young couples, etc. As many people as possible, so I want to go with something that looks great without being gaudy or TOO bold but at the same time, I don't want it to look too vanilla and dull.

I find that white subway tiles with white floor tiles, clean toilets with small stainless accents are nice but they're so dull. I want someone to come in and say "wow this bathroom is nice" without saying "its nice but it's not my style".
I have two bathrooms I am doing a complete rehaul on and they are both small. one is about 8.5' by 5' and the other is about 8.5' by 6'.

Are there certain styles of bathrooms that are more popular than others? Certain colors, etc. or does it all depend on the area? I live in the suburbs in Orange county, CA. Houses on this entire subdivision are about 1200-1800 sq. ft. with large lot sizes and ranch style homes.

I was thinking of going a certain light colored stone tile or travertine for the floors as well as the shower walls and flooring with a small halfway mosaic tile strip. For the regular walls it would be a flat light beige or tan/milk chocolate with a nice mahogany vanity with a black granite countertop and polished "gold" faucets. The walls would be either all flat light beige OR may half tiled with the same tile material as the shower.

Since it's a very small bathroom I'm not sure if these combinations or choices are going to make the bathroom look like a cave or small but if I go with all white and pedestal sinks, it looks very... traditional and almost clinical.

Any design help or advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-13, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Are you redoing them because they need it or because you think the house will sell faster? If it's the latter, then rethink that thought! You won't get your money back on bathrooms, because unless it's a million $$ plus home, people aren't looking for fancy, expensive bathrooms. They want to get a house at a good, affordable price.
I remember a couple did that around here, and were asking $100,000 more than the house value because they wanted their money back, and there it sat for at least 2 years. Don't know if it ever sold as I stopped checking after that.
Anyways, if you really want to or have to redo, just keep it simple and neutral. Have it look nice and clean and keep it practical. My 2 cents!

Old 01-26-13, 05:25 PM
haha thanks. Its to sell. but I did a comparative market analysis and based on the budget I laid out for the bathrooms I won't lose any money for sure. I can get the entire bathroom done for about $2000 each. One of them have cracked shower tiling so I figure rather than have the buyer come back to me during due diligence and say that want $10k off for the "bathroom damage" or something, it gives me the power to present a perfect bathroom for a fraction of what most people would use to leverage a lower price for.
So in that case, aside from minor amounts in materials cost, the tiles whether they're white and plain or nice travertine or marble are going to be practically the same. Toilets are $100 a pop and the vanity I actually already bought. No biggie.
The way I see it, it has to be done and on the cheap, but increasing the LOOK or "quality" of the bathroom has very little impact on price. Especially since the bathroom is so small. I won't be adding any new plumbing, jacuzzi tub or anything like that.

Maybe the modern look that clean but not cold or clinical should be a fail safe bet.

Old 01-26-13, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, Shadeladie has given sage advice as usual. Since you want to go forward, here's mine. $2000 won't get much. Maybe a shower rebuild. The only way I do bathrooms is a total gut out and finish. Toilets for a hundred dollars, maybe at the dollar store, but not in real world pricing. A decent toilet will run about $230, in keeping with the theme of newness. Go out and price tile if you are ready for sticker shock. You can get subway tile fairly inexpensively, but as you move toward travertine and marble it gets pricier, so they are not practically the same.

Gutting the bathroom and starting over will give you the chance to upgrade or do specific work on plumbing, electrical, insulation, etc.

You're in California....nothing's cheap. The bathrooms you were looking at in the books and online are "dream" bathrooms with price tags closing in on a new car. Most of the bathroom remodels, depending on extent of the client's imagination, will run anywhere from $7 - 10K, and that's in the South, where everyone talks funny.

Good luck, and if we can help in any way with this, please let us know.

Old 01-27-13, 06:25 AM
Since you're planning on selling my advice is to have a local real estate agent take a look at the property. Any advice you get here is going to be completely subjective. We can't see the condition of the bathrooms. Do they just need a little sprucing up or do they need serious upgrading. A real estate agent will know exactly what sells best in your area and what bath designs are most popular. Just remember that bathrooms are right behind kitchens in importance when it comes to selling a house.

Return on investment is a very slippery thing. How much return you get depends on a lot of things. For instance if you spend 20K on a bathroom and 40% of that is paid to contractors you're not going to get your money back. Do the work yourself and you can actually make a profit.

I agree with Larry that 2K is a very limited budget for even a small bathroom reno if you are having the work done. While you may be able to find toilets at $100 have you considered that it will probably cost a couple of hundred to have it installed or what happens when you lift a toilet and find rotted flooring or a cracked flange underneath?

My sister in law sells high end real estate. Her motto when it comes to color selection prior to selling - give them a blank slate. Muted colors, off whites etc.

Old 01-27-13, 09:27 PM
Interesting...maybe the pricing is different here. $80 will buy you a toilet and I do a lot of scouting on craigslist for brand new items that people sell from all sorts of reasons, mostly when people renovate and then change their mind they put up the materials up. I found a pair of Cadet 3 Flowise toilets for $50 a pop and brand new in box. Installation of toilets are a breeze and I have slab so I don't foresee any rotting issue. At least I hope not! Worst case scenario if the new toilets are defective I'm out $100 for both and can keep the "old" ones with nice cleaning. They're not THAT old but I figured at the price might as well get new ones.

hmm maybe we're thinking different things for remodels. My bathroom is 5'X8' really tiny. It has a toilet, vanity, mirror, and shower. Given that the materials to cover the flooring and shower walls and floor (tile, thinset, mortar bed, etc.) should be around $500 for each bathroom. There's a tile outlet near here and they have travertine for $1.49 a sq ft. marble at $1.79. Even at $3/sq ft. it's still not bad, estimating at 200 sq.ft per bathroom. 200 sq. ft would be to do all the walls, not just the shower, which I dont plan on doing (I think). But maybe I need to double check this price and go to this outlet.

Building the shower itself only requires some backerboard, mortar, etc. and some labor. I plan on hiring a handyman (local guy, charges $25/hr) to help speed up the labor. He cuts, I thinset and tile. The materials costs total shouldn't be much at all. The vanities I already have along with the sink and faucets. I found a large mirror 64X42 locally in brand new condition that will span the entire length of the bathroom for $15.
Aside from building the shower, tiling the shower walls, floors, doing the bathroom floors, theres not much else I can think of that will run up the costs.
I had the general contractor that is doing the work in the living room bid the bathroom and he quoted $1600 for the shower rebuild materials and labor included so I can imagine if I DIY and find cheap materials, I can do the whole bathroom for a lot less.
I'm not looking at fancy $1000 vanities though. I got a knack for craigslist and picked up a gorgeous mahogany (very nice hand wood work) vanity with black granite, dipped brass faucets for $150 with matching mahogony mirrors and lights. Talk about a steal! It was originally over $1500 for vanity alone.

I guess I have a bit more flexibility when it comes to budget cause I pretty much LIVE on craigslist and ebay and slickdeals.

Hopefully I'm not in for a rude awakening and not accounting for something but i THINK i may have covered most of the angles. Worse case, I have the handyman work an extra day or two with me to replace studs in the shower if they have rot but other than that, there's no sub floor or any damage to begin with so it theoretically SHOULD go smoothly.

Wayne, I may call a RE agent but my dad has a RE license and he's too proud to ask another RE for tips. But then again, they may not offer anything much other than what I already know. I have access to the MLS and spent 2 weeks doing a CMA for properties within (and outside of) this subdivision and the house across the street sold for $x with the basics. It LOOKS nice but if you're a DIY or someone who's a bit more detail orientated, it would be a shoddy job. The vanity wasnt lined up correctly, travertine floors and showers with no sealant, bad grout job, no shower doors or curtains, simple off color painted walls, no mirrors or racks, etc. So I'm basing my pricing and requirements off of that. I'm just hoping that most people are into the modern look and that the MODERN style is the "can't go wrong" look. Thank you about the advice about the off color, I'm leaning towards a white/gray/tan color combo for the bathroom. Or more contrasting black and whites (black counter top, tempered glass vessel sink, stainless faucet, white cabinets) so that it's more neutral. Colors are risky.

Old 01-27-13, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
IDK...if you say so for $2000 go for it.

When I did my 5x6 bath the material alone, tub, vanity, faucets, toilet, tile, paint, traps, valves..etc was at least 2K... I the plumber installed everything, (me) and the carpenter charged me $1500 to gut, rock, tile, trim,paint...

Total $3500 for me,,, And thats a lot IMO....

Now what would a plumber get???? Hmmmm At least $1500 labor...

So in reality it would of been 5K minumum to have it done turn key....

Just a thought...

Old 01-28-13, 03:18 AM
Hm.. I'm going to have to take a look at the numbers again. I'm not sure I require a plumber as I'm just changing out the toilet, vanity cabinet and rebuilding the shower around existing plumbing. I guess I'm planning on saving money by floating and waterproofing the shower myself, tiling the shower and floors myself. After that theres really not much else other than bolting the toilet on, screwing the vanity on, some silicone and then backsplash tiling. I guess sanding and degrossing the paint and painting the 2 opposite walls may take a few days.

Old 01-28-13, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I admire your tenacity in getting this done. Yes, the bathroom is a small one, quite smaller than ones I remodel. Building a shower is a little more than throwing tile on a wall. Consider what base will be installed. I'll refer you to a site that we use to guide people in properly building a shower base. Unless you buy a prefab base, this is what you have to do. Then you can put your tile on the walls, after you redo your plumbing. Your is on a slab so it is a little different, but the basics are there. How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.