Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Replacing Gas Cooktop with Freestanding Gas Range

Old 01-31-13, 10:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

First time poster here! We have a 30" gas cooktop installed in a 36" base cabinet with a small 24" wall oven. We want to replace the gas cooktop/cabinet with a freestanding gas range. The problem we have is that the space that will be left to fill will be 36" and the gas ranges that are 36" are more expensive. The ones we have seen that are not as expensive(premier) don't have many good reviews. I would actually like the 30" double oven gas ranges but then we have to try and fix the space that is left from the cabinet.
To help visualize and I will try and post a picture later when I am home of our cooktop/cabinet, they are located at the end of the kitchen cabinets. There would be nothing to the right of the range but space. There wouldn't be any linoleum on the floor and would not look great. So does anyone know of 36" ranges that may not be so expensive but still good? We don't want to go over $2,000 for a range so that leaves out a lot of brands. Or any ideas if getting a 30" range how to fix the area left by cabinet? Any help would be great!

Old 01-31-13, 11:42 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You'll probably need to do some work even if you get a 36" range. You'll need to fill in the missing vinyl (do you really have linoleum?) and relocate the cabinet end panel to the new end - to the left of the new range.

If that works for you, I found a 36" gas range at Sears that they're selling for $0.01 under your budget right now: Kenmore Elite 36'' Self-Cleaning Freestanding Gas Range. I don't know anything about this range, but we've been happy with the appliances we've bought from Sears over the years.

OTOH, if you want to go with a 30" range, you can use the old end panel as the side of a 6" wide section added to the existing base cabinets to the left of the range. A cabinet that size can be really handy for storing baking sheets and cooling racks. Then you might not need a storage drawer at the bottom of the range, and could get a warmer drawer or dedicated broiler built in.

One question: What are you planning to do to repair or replace your counter top?

Old 01-31-13, 12:23 PM
thanks for the reply! That is a good question about the counter top! I am not sure what or how we would go about that. If we were putting a 36" in then we thought we would have the range next to it but we would still need to fix the end of the counter top right? We are very new to all this as we haven't done much remodeling in our house as yet. I assumed the floor was linoleum because it is all one sheet not tiles or anything but it could be vinyl. Im not sure. They make cabinets that would fit with the 30" range? That sounds like that would be great but then we have the counter top to deal with or what to do with top of cabinet right? So glad there are people on here that know so much more about this than us! I will post the picture later with the area I am talking about

Old 01-31-13, 04:12 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8674[/ATTACH]Here are a few pictures of our kitchen area:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8672[/ATTACH]
We would be taking out the cooktop and the cabinet under it which measures 36" and replace with freestanding range. Probably will go with a 36" range. I liked the Kenmore Elite that Nashkat1 suggested. We will have to cut countertop so do we have to get something to put on that end because it will be the end of the countertop there?

Old 01-31-13, 04:39 PM
We are very new to all this as we haven't done much remodeling in our house as yet.
That's OK, each of us was a newbie once, and we all face new challenges every day. Ask away!

I assumed the floor was linoleum because it is all one sheet not tiles or anything but it could be vinyl.
It looks like sheet vinyl in your photos. Linoleum seldom looks that shiny, or that new, after it's been walked on for a few years.

We will have to cut countertop so do we have to get something to put on that end because it will be the end of the countertop there?
Probably. What is your countertop made of? How is the end of it, to the right of the cooktop, finished now?

Cutting a clean, straight line for the new ending point, from the lip in front to the top of the backsplash, will be a challenge, too. You might want to hire a pro to do this work, and to finish the raw end of the cabinet that will be to the left of the range. Or you might be able to move the end panel to the new location. OTOH, this project might grow to include a new countertop!

One option with a 30" range would be to build, or have built, the 6" cabinet I suggested earlier and top it with butcher block, then seal that with silicone to the cut end of the existing countertop.

Old 01-31-13, 05:31 PM
This is the end of the countertop and cabinets. The countertop is a laminate countertop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8676[/ATTACH]
The idea of a cabinet with butcher block sounds interesting. We would have to have a custom size cabinet made right?

Old 01-31-13, 09:35 PM
The attachments didn't work.

Yes, you would have a cabinet made to match the existing ones and fit the space available. I would have the cabinet shop cut the existing countertop and do the installation too. They have skills and tools you don't even know of (they have skills and tools I don't know of).

Old 02-01-13, 09:11 AM
Further thoughts

I just had a close look at where two cabinets join in our kitchen, and at an exposed corner at the end of the counter. It appears that ours were assembled from complete units, and that removing one would expose the finished end of the one next to it.

If that's how yours are made, then you only have the end of the countertop to deal with, plus whatever patching might be needed to repair any damage from the screws or other fasteners were used to join the two base units together.

You might want to get the pros to give you a couple of estimates on removing the 36" base, cutting and repairing the countertop end, and building the fill-in cabinet, if you'd rather go with the 30" range.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: