Is it load bearing

Old 01-26-13, 06:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it load bearing

Hi all this is my first post (don't really know how to do this but here goes). My question is how do I know if my wall is "load bearing". My kitchen is very small and I would like to knock down the wall between my kitchen and dining room to make it bigger.....PLEASE HELP

Old 01-27-13, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
JayBee2222, welcome to the forums! I moved your post to its own thread so you will get more exposure to your question.

You will need to gain access to the attic and look at the direction of thee ceiling joists, whether or not they are trusses, and how tall the bottom chord is. Pictures would help us to help you.

Old 01-27-13, 06:31 AM
W
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
In general a load bearing wall runs perpendicular to the roof rafters/ceiling joists.

Even if the wall is load bearing it can probably be removed but precautions have to be taken. The load will have to be supported by another means, typically a structure called a header.

If you determine you have a load bearing wall you will probably need an engineering evaluation to determine the size and positioning of the header.

Old 02-03-13, 02:43 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Of course I have no idea what a "ceiling joist" or "trusses", but thanks anyway Chandler . I think i'll leave this all to you guys whom are builders and stick to medicine. Also thanks for moving my post, you are a sweetheart.

Old 02-03-13, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
A roof truss is a factory built triangular wooden structure that makes up both the ceiling joist [what the ceiling is attached too] and the roof rafters. Normally a truss system picks up the load from the opposing exterior walls and there aren't any load bearing interior walls. A site built ceiling and roof structure often has load bearing walls in the interior that help to hold up the ceiling/roof.

Hopefully that explains it well enough, if not, take 2 aspirins and call us in the morning

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: