just did kitchen backsplash

Old 01-27-13, 07:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
just did kitchen backsplash

first time ever setting tile, used marble 3x6s with glass/stone/metallic mosaic mesh. used white glass tile thinset to bond both marble and mosaic. after it has dried for a bit ive noticed some of the mosaic pieces coming loose. i think it is because i went back and fiddled with ones that werent perfectly straight (im a perfectionist and it sucks) what is the best way to reinstall these pieces? i'm thinking waiting for everything to dry and going back before i grout and ripping those pieces off and using something to rebond them. i really dont want to have to buy more thinset and remix it for just a few small pieces. liquid nails or something?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-13, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, fiddling without a bow can be frustrating Once you set tile, leave them alone or it will cause problems. I would remove just the offending individual tiles, clean out the old thinset, butter the back of the tiles lightly with new thinset and replace them. For such a small amount, you can either remix from a bag or buy white glass thinset premixed and use it, keeping the can sealed for when you fiddle with something else. Let us see it when you are finished grouting.

Old 02-03-13, 02:35 PM
so all that is left is caulking. should i caulk around the outlet covers?

Old 02-03-13, 02:51 PM
No caulk around receptacle covers. It will make them more difficult to remove for service and will serve no real purpose.

Old 02-03-13, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If there is much of a gap - especially if it's more than 1/8" wide - between any side of an electrical box and the wall surface, you should fill that with caulk. But smooth it down and let it cure before you cover the device.

Old 02-03-13, 06:41 PM
now with the two different tiles being different widths in some areas, you can see a gap between the cover and the wall. what should i do about that? do they make face plate gaskets or something? also if ive already caulked that area. shouldnt be hard to remove and redo right

Old 02-03-13, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
now with the two different tiles being different widths in some areas, you can see a gap between the cover and the wall. what should i do about that?
Re-set the box. The face of the box must be flush with, or no more than 1/8" (IIRC) below/behind the face of the finished surface.

Old 02-04-13, 04:26 AM
I see your dilemma, in the differing tile depths, and where your plate will land on each. In such a case, you can caulk the edges of the cover plate, but wipe it all down with a wet sponge so it is not obvious.