Glass block shower door.

Old 02-03-13, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glass block shower door.

I have an opening into the shower thats 58.5 inches wide.A tiled base to that opening is 4.5 inches high and 4.75 inches wide. What size glass block and how many should I buy to have a glass block door with a 24" opening on the right side to enter the shower?And what other accessories will I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-13, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A glass block door will be quite heavy, and it will need a frame. Are you sure you want to make a door of glass blocks??? Or are you just wanting to fill in the opening to make a 24" entrance? Maybe you could post a few pictures of the project so we can see what you see. Sure would help us out.

Old 02-04-13, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
I'm pretty sure he meant glass wall with a door opening. I did that same project about 10 years ago. The shower originally had a two-door slider, which was kind of silly since the one end was right next to the toilet and you could never exit that way. Also I had always wanted to try a glass block project. I did glass block from the the tiled base to the ceiling (actually a "bump" about a foot below actual ceiling height) using the Corning system that's grout-less. The blocks are aligned and stacked with plastic spacers and then the gaps filled with clear (or white, I suppose, if you preferred) silicone caulk. Hang the door and voila! My dimensions are a bit off from yours:

Shower opening: 65 1/2w x 79" h
Door gap: 30"
Blocks (5 3/4 x 7 1/2 I think): 60
Glass block section dimensions: 35 1/2 x 79" (6 blocks across, 10 high)

Best to check out the glass blocks first, and the shower doors, to see what will work to fit the available dimensions. I was lucky in that 10 blocks stacked up exactly matched the available opening height.

Old 02-04-13, 05:00 AM
Question comes to mind, too, are you going to put a door in the 24" opening or have it as a walk in? I don't build showers with doors or curtains if I can help it. I try to design the shower area to where water moves away from the opening. Clients love the designs and like the fact there is no place for crud to grow, like in door tracks, etc.

The Corning system is foolproof. Hey, I've even used it, so it must be I had to build a window opening to accept glass block, so I built it to Corning's measurements including their trim pieces. Once the finished opening was made it took a total 30 minutes to install the grid, block and grout. I amazed myself.

Old 02-06-13, 07:56 AM
Question Glass Block shower door.

I'm interested in Chandlers reply!Ur description sound like what I had planed.What is the Corning plan, and can I view it on the web?

Old 02-06-13, 08:04 AM
Glass block shower door.

Chandler, I found the Pitt. Corning system on the web. And the right side door plan is what I have.I would like to have the entrance w/no door.but the drain is in the center. Would the curved section be in the way of the drain?

Old 02-06-13, 08:10 AM
Re:glass block shower door.

This is to The_Tow_Guy, what U explained in ur reply is also right up my alley.It holds my interest also.The measurements are very close to mine.Did U put in a door or use a curvature of block, or use a shower curtain for the entrance?

Old 02-06-13, 12:52 PM
Would the curved section be in the way of the drain
Difficult to tell. Maybe you could post a couple of pictures of your shower so we can see what you see. May help immensely. Thanks.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-07-13, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Door. Would have loved to go door-less, but the shower head is on that end of the shower, so splash our would be a problem.

Old 02-07-13, 10:48 AM
Re: Glass block shower door.

Chandler, I'm 78 yr old man and I have trouble getting a picture to this forum at the present time.To Tow Guy my shower head is on the opposite end of where the door opening would be so splash out wouldn't be a problem.I shouldn't have to go all way to the ceiling either. I had planned 72" not including the 4.5 inch base already there.The drain is in the center of the shower and its 12.5 " from the inside of the base.